LiveRock stuffs ID

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got some LiveRock from Gulf Live Rock. It's been sitting for a week in a QT tank and now that everything settled I'd like to start going over it to see what needs to be kept out of the DT. I've found some aiptasia and superglued them,im sure there will be more.

Just need some help IDing any other potential baddies.

Thanks for any and all help!

20210205_085528.jpg 20210205_085521.jpg 20210205_085514.jpg 20210205_085257.jpg 20210205_085159.jpg 20210205_085137.jpg 20210205_085149.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Pictures are a little too blue to tell on some but on plants, I see halmeda, caulerpa and mermaids cup (Macroalgae)

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4th pic is what they call a star coral- that appears to be a non-photosynthetic kind (The photosynthetic kind will have some color, usually tan or greenish)- either that or it's very bleached. The one that I got was just non photosynthetic, and grew well when I fed it until it withered away overnight for some reason.

Baronen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the greatest on IDs but a little advice. You will likely have an outbreak of bryopsis. I did with my gulf rock. The way I fixed it without chemicals/meds (why get chemicals when you have live rock with tons of biodiversity you could kills off) is with 4 emerald crabs in my 20 gallon. I didn’t feed them any other food and they went to town on all the algae. I’m not even sure if they actually like eating bryopsis but they pluck it off and it all drained into my overflow and now the rock is spotless!

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4th pic is what they call a star coral- that appears to be a non-photosynthetic kind (The photosynthetic kind will have some color, usually tan or greenish)- either that or it's very bleached. The one that I got was just non photosynthetic, and grew well when I fed it until it withered away overnight for some reason.
Could it be a ball anemone or pseudocorynactis?

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be a ball anemone or pseudocorynactis?
Possibly, but neither of those have a skeleton, and would usually have a colored base. There are clearish ball anemones it appears (based on what I googled haha). One thing I have observed looking at pictures of ball anemones is that their tentacles are clear, with a colored tip that likely carries the stinging cells. However, if you look at these pictures, it appears there are nematocysts (at least what I'm guessing are nematocysts) throughout the tentacle. Also, I have one that looks exactly like that, so I guess I'm basing some of my ID off of what I have observed. It hasn't moved, has the same spotting on the tentacles. However, I have not seen a skeleton on mine nor on the large one that OP posted.

However, the clump next to the hermit crab in that first picture is certainly a star coral- I can see the skeleton- keep feeding it and it will continue to grow :)

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Possibly, but neither of those have a skeleton, and would usually have a colored base. There are clearish ball anemones it appears (based on what I googled haha). One thing I have observed looking at pictures of ball anemones is that their tentacles are clear, with a colored tip that likely carries the stinging cells. However, if you look at these pictures, it appears there are nematocysts (at least what I'm guessing are nematocysts) throughout the tentacle. Also, I have one that looks exactly like that, so I guess I'm basing some of my ID off of what I have observed. It hasn't moved, has the same spotting on the tentacles. However, I have not seen a skeleton on mine nor on the large one that OP posted.

However, the clump next to the hermit crab in that first picture is certainly a star coral- I can see the skeleton- keep feeding it and it will continue to grow :)

What should I feed? Direct feed reef roids?

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I feed? Direct feed reef roids?
I always had trouble with feeding reef roids to corals with tentacles that they use to direct food towards their mouths- if you do decide to do reef roids I'd try to position the rock so the corals are directly upright since roids would have the tendency to just kinda slough off otherwise. Also important with roids is to turn off all flow since any flow at all will blow the roids right off these guys. I usually went with mysis, and if my mysis was too big I'd try to cut it in half with tongs, and I made sure to do that with every head since I wasn't sure if the nutrients are shared between heads. I have personally had better growth rates among all my corals with meaty foods over powder/pellet foods, but as long as you are making sure they are actually consuming whatever food you're feeding them, you should be able to get measurable growth. You'll be able to see the roids through the clear tissue after you feed- good luck and post progress pics!

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Almost looks like some type of jellyfish- is that pink base attached to the stingy tentacle things? How does it move, if at all?

It's some kind of a worm based on movement. Almost looks like a Medusa. Looks like a bristle worm with what looks like an octopus for a head.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back