Livestock quickly dying!

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody else will have to chime in for the odds of transfer and medications to use. I am using copper, and as I understand it, therapeutic levels of copper is dangerous to clowns. If you have the space and salt, you could perform the tank transfer method. Takes I believe 5 days for Velvet. There's a really good thread on here about that method.

That being said, clowns are supposed to be resistant to Velvet, so assuming there was transfer, it might take a while to harm it. Don't know how it would compare, but I took an eel out of a velvet infested tank, doing nothing more than putting it in a different tank with new water and rock from the velvet tank, it's still alive and super healthy seven weeks later.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody else will have to chime in for the odds of transfer and medications to use. I am using copper, and as I understand it, therapeutic levels of copper is dangerous to clowns. If you have the space and salt, you could perform the tank transfer method. Takes I believe 5 days for Velvet. There's a really good thread on here about that method.

That being said, clowns are supposed to be resistant to Velvet, so assuming there was transfer, it might take a while to harm it. Don't know how it would compare, but I took an eel out of a velvet infested tank, doing nothing more than putting it in a different tank with new water and rock from the velvet tank, it's still alive and super healthy seven weeks later.

Unfortunately whatever this was attacked and killed both the guys clownfish who I bought the frags off, so I'm pretty nervous right now. A picture on that thread had a white mucus around the clowns mouth.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately whatever this was attacked and killed both the guys clownfish who I bought the frags off, so I'm pretty nervous right now. A picture on that thread had a white mucus around the clowns mouth.

Velvet will kill clown fish just like any other fish. It killed mine. Best bet is to go fallow. If you can add a UV sterilizer to the tank(s) it'll help shorten the amount of time fallow.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a thought, but if it’s 20g tank, could you break it down, clean it throughly and restart? With the cycling products these days, you could probably be up and running in less than a fallow period.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, but if it’s 20g tank, could you break it down, clean it throughly and restart? With the cycling products these days, you could probably be up and running in less than a fallow period.

I thought about it but I'd have to transfer my corals and snails to my other tank possibly infecting that one.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could loud music kill fish? Or a sudden PH change from A/C turning on for the season?

Last edited:

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If loud music could kill fish, mine would be goners! Im sorry, but it really sounds like your fish had some kind of parasite.

I woke up this morning and noticed nearly ALL of my fish had ick. My damsel, specifically, is hiding exactly like your fish were. in addition to that, I noticed they all slept in spots they don’t usually sleep in and we’re breathing especially heavy this morning. There are numerous kinds of parasites which attach themselves to the gills of a fish and are internal parasites instead of external.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If loud music could kill fish, mine would be goners! Im sorry, but it really sounds like your fish had some kind of parasite.

I woke up this morning and noticed nearly ALL of my fish had ick. My damsel, specifically, is hiding exactly like your fish were. in addition to that, I noticed they all slept in spots they don’t usually sleep in and we’re breathing especially heavy this morning. There are numerous kinds of parasites which attach themselves to the gills of a fish and are internal parasites instead of external.

Yeah you're probably right and sorry about your fish, this stuff really sucks. It had to be some parasite on my frags, way too much of a coincidence that the sellers fish died just like mine.

But at least you have visual confirmation of a disease, my fishes showed nothing on their bodies and I'm pretty much left guessing.

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you're probably right and sorry about your fish, this stuff really sucks. It had to be some parasite on my frags, way too much of a coincidence that the sellers fish died just like mine.

But at least you have visual confirmation of a disease, my fishes showed nothing on their bodies and I'm pretty much left guessing.
I agree. I’m really starting to hate irresponsible sellers. I’ve bought from some very reputable places and their livestock has frags with bubble algae or fish with ick.

I’m so sorry! Quick deaths are the worst... When I first started reefing I kept trying occellaris from PetCo. I lost every single occelaris I bought from them, they’d do fine for two weeks to a month max and then die overnight. The first day they’d be okay and the next day, dead. Very discouraging for my very first three fish in the hobby. I’ve learned a lot since then though and want to let you know it’s worth every struggle. I couldn’t possibly love my tank more nowadays and I hope you are able to enjoy yours in the near future! :)

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I’m really starting to hate irresponsible sellers. I’ve bought from some very reputable places and their livestock has frags with bubble algae or fish with ick.

I’m so sorry! Quick deaths are the worst... When I first started reefing I kept trying occellaris from PetCo. I lost every single occelaris I bought from them, they’d do fine for two weeks to a month max and then die overnight. The first day they’d be okay and the next day, dead. Very discouraging for my very first three fish in the hobby. I’ve learned a lot since then though and want to let you know it’s worth every struggle. I couldn’t possibly love my tank more nowadays and I hope you are able to enjoy yours in the near future! :)

Yeah I'll probably never really be 100 percent sure what happened and if it came from the seller or not, he keeps insisting it didn't and sent me pics to prove it and it may in fact just be one huge weird coincidence.

If only the fish developed a white spot or something, that would at least let me know an 8 week fallow period isn't for nothing.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't done anything to the infected tank, you could add a cheap junk fish or two, see what happens to them.

I had velvet, and not one of my fish showed the white spots before or after death, except the two black mollies I had as feeder fish. Absolutely covered, it's how I got my diagnosis.

And yeah, it sucks, it really sucks losing fish, and the frustration just makes you wanna quit sometimes, I know that feeling. Sometimes it seems like there is always something going wrong with my tank, I curse and get ticked off, but then once it's solved and I can sit back and watch the interactions between the fish, I realize it is also so totally worth it.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't done anything to the infected tank, you could add a cheap junk fish or two, see what happens to them.

I had velvet, and not one of my fish showed the white spots before or after death, except the two black mollies I had as feeder fish. Absolutely covered, it's how I got my diagnosis.

And yeah, it sucks, it really sucks losing fish, and the frustration just makes you wanna quit sometimes, I know that feeling. Sometimes it seems like there is always something going wrong with my tank, I curse and get ****** off, but then once it's solved and I can sit back and watch the interactions between the fish, I realize it is also so totally worth it.

I have a similar idea, I'm actually in the process of setting my fish QT back up and I'm seeding the filter sponges from my "infected" tank. I figured that way if the tank has a parasite it will transfer to the sponges and any cheap fish in the QT should show symptoms. I figured at least that way if it survives I'm not having to try to break apart my live rock trying to get it out of my main tank.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar idea, I'm actually in the process of setting my fish QT back up and I'm seeding the filter sponges from my "infected" tank. I figured that way if the tank has a parasite it will transfer to the sponges and any cheap fish in the QT should show symptoms. I figured at least that way if it survives I'm not having to try to break apart my live rock trying to get it out of my main tank.

This sounds risky to me. If you have velvet (for example) it may have encysted on things in your tank already. And in general, it seems to hard to be certain that your sponge contains an accurate representation of all microscopic life in the tank.

I think you'd have more reliable results by following the fallow period and quarantining all things wet going forward. Plus, then you wouldn't be sacrificing live animals just because they were "cheap".

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the one he purchased the frags from. I will add like the op said, the frags he got from me came from my display tank that has not had any issues or losses in months. The issue I had that was similar was my 20 gallon nuvo. I also posted my problem on here
The fish I had issues with were also purchased after I sold the frags, and still in a different tank. I feel really bad the OP had similar issues, I would take full blame if they came from the same tank. I never fully figured out what happened to mine. Could of been disease or ammonia poisoning as I had a high level after my new ywg died.
In your first post you found your one fish dead and said it possibly died 2-3 days before? Could it have spiked your ammonia? You said you tested after a WC which would show better numbers. The ammonia from the first fish might of done too much damage to the second? Just a thought, still never figured mine out 100% but might of been what did mine in.

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned earlier i used a turkey baster in my 5g that was also used in my 20g. Today i noticed a white spot in my clown right after his second white bar, can anyone confirm what this may be? I'm going to be by petco today so wondering if i should pick up some copper just in case.

20200601_142251.jpg

OP
OP
R

roblox84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the one he purchased the frags from. I will add like the op said, the frags he got from me came from my display tank that has not had any issues or losses in months. The issue I had that was similar was my 20 gallon nuvo. I also posted my problem on here
The fish I had issues with were also purchased after I sold the frags, and still in a different tank. I feel really bad the OP had similar issues, I would take full blame if they came from the same tank. I never fully figured out what happened to mine. Could of been disease or ammonia poisoning as I had a high level after my new ywg died.
In your first post you found your one fish dead and said it possibly died 2-3 days before? Could it have spiked your ammonia? You said you tested after a WC which would show better numbers. The ammonia from the first fish might of done too much damage to the second? Just a thought, still never figured mine out 100% but might of been what did mine in.

I thought about that, Im not sure how long it would take for a dead fish to start showing ammonia. I found it probably 2 days after it died so I guess it could have.

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And yeah, it sucks, it really sucks losing fish, and the frustration just makes you wanna quit sometimes, I know that feeling. Sometimes it seems like there is always something going wrong with my tank, I curse and get ****** off, but then once it's solved and I can sit back and watch the interactions between the fish, I realize it is also so totally worth it.
Honestly, I never went fallow after losing any fish and I never quarantine any fish. I know it’s not ideal, as healthy fish are more than capable of fighting disease. And even though I do things this way, I don’t recommend it to others because it is pretty risky. That’s just my 2 cents.

With that out of the way, black saltwater mollies are a great idea! They’re very hardy too, so they’ll definitely show signs before dying if they get ill. I really hope you both find a cause.

Also, about your clowns, #1 thing you can do is ensure they’re still eating because healthy fish CAN fight off illness. Theres no definite in-tank cure for ick. But you can always try Polyplab’s Reef Medic. I can’t say wether or not it truly works as this is my first time ever using it. but I picked some up from Top Shelf Aquatics, and my fish look better overnight. According to TSA, it causes fish to grow additional slime on their slime coat so that they shed off the parasite and the parasite has a harder time reattaching itself. So far, I’ve seen great results.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back