LM blenny alternatives

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking utilitarian fish that loves algae for 3’ 55 gallons tank. I don’t like the coloration of lawnmower blenny or Molly Miller blenny.

What are the alternatives?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An alternative could be a Starry blenny, related to the lawnmower. I'ts black with little white spots all over. The only downside to them is it's really hard to tell if they have ich or not, but if you buy from a vendor you trust, that shouldn't be an issue.
Good luck and God bless!

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starry blenny is a bit too large for me as they can get up to 5.5”.

Anything else?

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like with Tailspot Blenny, it could be hit and miss in term of algae control

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, although they eat algae, I dont think blennies are all that great at algae control. They will also chow down on whatever food you feed your other fish. A horned blenny may be an option for you, but again, not a super effective algae consumer imo.

U

User1

View Badges
As said - blennies are a bit hit or miss especially if you don't like the lawnmower. The starry is pretty and may not be too big for your tank but totally respect the concern.

Urchins are nice. A bit of a bulldozer attitude from time to time. So if not secured stuff will get moved such as coral frags. Could acclimate mollies as an option. Another option is to just let the tank mature and manually remove what you can while working with tank balance and maturity. Then also add a balanced snail crew and be ok.

Back to blennies though - I've had both lawnmower and bi-color. Both scrapped the rocks but nothing was as good as my urchin, scopas and lavander tank. Turbo and other snails when balanced so they don't compete for food was also key.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm not many options apparently. I might just go with Molly miller then. Thanks guys

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back