OP
OP
lmfbs

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had issues with flow moving sand around, so I got some coarser sand (Seachem pearl beach, I already have Seacham Meridian in the tank). I've added this to the parts that always go bald, and so far, so good. I'm thinking of adding an additional powerhead, because one corner especially has very little flow.

I'm also thinking of adding a powerhead to the sump, and a container of rock. Currently I have rock rubble in a mesh bag, but I think popping it in a crate would be heaps easier for cleaning. Is there any kind of plastic I should be really avoiding?

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One particular note I would make on reading this thread (sorry to hear about your troubles!): You might want to consider adding some macroalgae - Its a great phosphate and nitrate sink and it also out competes pest algae for nutrients. You can get some great looking caulerpa for the display tank, or if you don't like the look of it or it gets eaten, keeping a stock in the sump will only be a good thing to do.

OP
OP
lmfbs

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One particular note I would make on reading this thread (sorry to hear about your troubles!): You might want to consider adding some macroalgae - Its a great phosphate and nitrate sink and it also out competes pest algae for nutrients. You can get some great looking caulerpa for the display tank, or if you don't like the look of it or it gets eaten, keeping a stock in the sump will only be a good thing to do.
I've got some chaeto in my sump, actually, but macroalgae is extremely hard to find in NZ - as far as I can tell there's none for sale anywhere. I'm considering a ATS actually, I had one in an old tank and it was great.

OP
OP
lmfbs

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 5 mollies have gone into the tank. They're terrified of the yellow kole eye tang (I don't blame them, he's a bit of a jerk to newcomers). They tend to stay on the surface, but seem to be getting braver.

I also slashed out on a bunch of coral:
1714092571499.png

1714092585039.png

One of the chalices (which isn't pictured here) was accidentally sold, so the seller sent me a different one instead. I also got a frogspawn which is beautiful.

These pics are taken in my tank, just using an orange and yellow filter. I haven't edited them because I'm lazy.
unnamed (2).jpg unnamed.jpg

Okay, but how stunning is this?

unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg

This is the chalice I got instead of the one I ordered. I love it even more.
unnamed (5).jpg

This Favia got stung (the seller warned me and gave me a discount). You can see the sting on the lefthand side. It's looking heaps better this morning.

unnamed (6).jpg

My alk consumption is already shooting up. The tank has heaps of coralline so uses a surprising amount of kH (I dose 35ml of Redsea Foundation B a day and this will need to increase with more coral).

Anyway - no major update but things are looking okay at the moment! Now I just need to pick where I'm going to mount these corals. unnamed (1).jpg

OP
OP
lmfbs

lmfbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rainbow acan is gorgeous! Where did you source it?

I'll be in touch about cheto, think I might be out of room in my sump.
I got it from reef shack - they have another one https://www.reefshack.co.nz/product.php?p=92

I've found them really great to deal with. I was worried it wouldn't be as nicely coloured up in my tank but it looks awesome in real life too!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back