Locline sizing

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to get the most flow using the least amount of gph from my return pump and the only way of doing this is by tapering the flow. I currently have 3/4 return plumbed into 3/4 locline with dual circular nozzles. I ordered 3/4 inch flare nozzles from brs but the fittings are too loose so I need to order a whole new locline setup and I’m trying to decide if I should get an adapter to go from 3/4 to 1/2 with 2 half inch flares on my 4 breeder. I’ve never really looked into locline sizing for tanks but it seems like the 3/4 inch locline flare nozzles just look way too big being 3” each in my tank.

Will 1/2 be too small??

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2" won't be too small, but it might (probably will) create more back pressure on the pump, so your overall throughput will drop. So your PSI will go up, but your GPH might (probably will) go down. If that makes any sense.

Something else to consider would be a higher quality flow, instead of a higher flow. Specifically a Loc-Line Eductor. Which (based on the theory) will give you more GPH, but lower PSI. They are also designed to create turbulent flow. I use these on several tanks and think they are just great!

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2" won't be too small, but it might (probably will) create more back pressure on the pump, so your overall throughput will drop. So your PSI will go up, but your GPH might (probably will) go down. If that makes any sense.

Something else to consider would be a higher quality flow, instead of a higher flow. Specifically a Loc-Line Eductor. Which (based on the theory) will give you more GPH, but lower PSI. They are also designed to create turbulent flow. I use these on several tanks and think they are just great!

I’ll have to check it out! Right now I have way too much for going through my sump and overflow and it seems like it’s barely anything in the tank because the round nozzles don’t create any turbulence!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back