Long post - The dreaded move...

Saucychick56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current set up:
I have a 55 gallon fish only tank with a yellow-hooded eye tang, a pair of mated clowns, a red hawkfish, and lots of coraline algae and a green grassy macro algae (feels like astro turf). The lights on that one are blue spectrum and a bright white. I run a canister filter on that.

I also have a 29 gallon Bio-cube reef tank with another pair of mated clowns, a yellow-tailed damsel, a purple firefish, and lots of bispira tube fans. The corals in the small tank are a duncan, kryptonite neon green candy cane coral, and a huge branching frog spawn. I have an AI light on that one.

I have an empty 90 gallon I would like to combine these tanks into when I move in about 6 months. It does not have a sump. Should I now get set up for that? Or just get a second canister?

Potential Combining Problems:
1) I have persistent Aptasia on my rocks in both tanks. I know my candy cane has at least two at its base. And my frogspawn has three or four on its lower branches. The LR is full of them - where I can't reach. Grrr. I try keeping them under control with Joe's Juice and Aptasia-x, even bubble-gumming them with Coral Gum. Needless to say, I want to leave the aptasia behind!

2) The green grassy macro algae from the 55g will probably overrun my corals of the 29 g. So should I just get new LR all the way around? What about the bacteria, and polyps, and bispira on my old rocks?

3) I have a 2 dead coral decorations in the 55g that have single feather dusters, one is white and one is blue, both surrounded by the macro algaes. How do I keep them but not the algae?

4) I read a few posts about keeping the sand vs not keeping the sand. I do vacuum monthly, so I think keeping the sand and adding new sand is a good idea, but should I combine the sands?? And how fine or chunky should the new sand be?

5) What about my 2 sets of clowns? In each tank, they live in a glued-open large clam shell. Can I put them on either side of the big tank and will they leave each other alone (since they don't seem to venture too far from their shell...)

6) I worry about my firefish as well, it seems to be SUPER shy... It's been a few months and it still dives for cover when I feed them. Is the hawkfish gonna be a problem for it?

7) Lighting. I don't want to spend a gazillion on new lights. If I bunch the coral on one side, grouped like they are in the 29g and keep the AI light on them, or if I buy another AI light and scrap the 55g light set - will that be enough for the 90g?

8) If I do have to get new rock, will the bacteria in the water and the filter media be enough to populate the tank without cycling? So I can move the tanks like I usually do when I move, (this will be the third time) but this time, just put everything together in the big tank, with new rock?

9) And what about all my beautiful coraline algae on the glass, any way to accelerate it growing in the new tank? And the fans in the little tank, there are a lot on the back wall.. i hate to just kill them when I break the tank down... UGH.

As you can see, I have lots of questions!

prdubois

Check out my 225gal: https://www.reef2reef.com/th
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion
a. Get a sump for the new tank. Canister filter is a trap and may ne the cause of the extra algae you have
1. Berghia Nudibranchs: Berghia Nudibranchs : ReefTown, Berghia Nudibranchs for saltwater aquariums | Eliminate and kill Aiptasia Anemones naturally
2. If would take longer but you can cycle New rock and seed with the best of your old rock. You could use Vibrant to get rid of the algae on the old rock instead.
3. You could use Vibrant to get rid of the algae on the rock
4. If you keep the old sand you will need to rinse it. Put in 5 gal bucket and sun a rose in the bucket till the water flows out clean.
5. Flip a coin. They may do well or they may just fight. You may need to rehome two of them
6. not sure, they should be ok.
7. two ai lights should be fine. The new one should be a AI 32. just balance them out
8. If all new rock you will need to cycle it in the new tank or a Rubbermaid trash can. Seed it with a few pieces of the old rock if you have any not suspect.
9. Scrape off the coraline algae and seed the new tank with it. I will grow back.

To sum it up: I would add a sump. Buy some new rock. Rinse the sand or buy new. Add a new AI 31
Cheaper way would be to use Vibrant and nudibranchs to clean the old rock.

Which ever way you go: Plan it out and take your time. Rushing is never good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back