Long Tentacle Anemones HELP!

OEiiPhil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got this Anemone, as far as I could could see he’s healthy. He was opened up and looked like a healthy anemone after the first few hours. But as soon as I turn my wave maker he moved on around and doesn’t seem to be happy anywhere in the tank. He inflates his foot and deflates I’m not sure what’s going on. I have added pictures. The tank paras are the same no changes. Shld I let him roll around still he finds a place or shld I place him somewhere firm. Or is this characteristic a more serious situation?

BB902510-078F-47C4-A305-F103B1BE8F15.jpeg 660A34B3-2B4F-4441-A3C8-6DEBB2486042.jpeg 290906B8-F76E-4DF5-A27E-A525261CBB7B.jpeg D8CF84E9-AFCC-482C-A952-760BDE6EFB07.jpeg 137CC1C0-8003-4E90-A104-7FD873C215F5.jpeg 3559D83D-8E96-481A-B135-1C901830937A.jpeg

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They are known as ”sandbed anemones”. If I were you, I would turn off the flow and try to put the anemone in the sand. Then, wait for some time and turn on the flow. By the way, it looks like you do not have much sand in your tank, the anemone needs a deep sandbed to live.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it find a place, they tend to only wander when the conditions (light and flow) aren't quite right, it will settle down sooner or later. It seems very healthy, so I don't think it's wandering because of stress.
Good luck and God bless!

OP
OP
OEiiPhil

OEiiPhil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just concerned because of the horror stories of these guys getting caught on wave makers and mine was heading that way plus I have my heater next to it. I placed him on the other side of the tank and shut off the wave maker for now.

2D146964-DC3D-41F6-BCB3-806CDC7CD193.jpeg

naclasen74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will move around your tank. none of my nems live on the rock. Both have moved to where the sand meets the rock. They will also exhale water ( get skinny) then inhale water and grow to normal size. they will also bring all tunicles inside there body for a bit then branch out like the sun after. he looks healthy, but it looks like a new tank? how long has it been running? more sand would help. I use 2- 2 1/2" of live sand.

OP
OP
OEiiPhil

OEiiPhil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was a rushed decision I made buying the anemone with everything shutting down here. But this guy from the store said that these anemones are more of rock dwellers but did gather up some substrate from around the tank to one spot and place him there but he’s out of there already.

naclasen74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that you got him home. You really need to watch all water parameters. Nems don't handle water change very well. Lighting is very important too. there is a chance that when nems die they could kill the hole tank. Do a water test now. Then make corrections for the nem.

OP
OP
OEiiPhil

OEiiPhil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been running for almost 7 months but the anemone was introduced 2 days ago. I shut off the whole flow that’s the reason the water looks off.
And no I don’t have a protein skimmer.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return it. They need deep sand beds to live happily

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a circle of rocks sand exposed in center where I wanted mine to hang out, My sands only about an inch to inch and a half where he’s at and he burrowed down to the glass to attach, once he gets happy need to maintain the flow pattern for him he likes or he will be outta the circle on the move mine sure did let me know change us bad lol Good luck

naclasen74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your doing a reef tank you need one. PetSmart has one that sits on the back of your tank. you also need reef water test. Calcium, phosphate, carbonate hardness, magnesium is important to hold the right PH. add more live sand. test water, protean skimmer can be put in a sump.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree, I do not have a sump nor a skimmer. My reef tank is successful that I have all types of corals in there, including an anemone.

naclasen74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no matter what kind of saltwater aquarium you have. I strongly recommend you out fit it with a protein skimmer. the minimal investment will save you and your filtration system time and trouble. your fish and invertebrates will love it.
this really just a form of chemical filtration, but unlike filters, waste is actually removed from the water and not turned to something else, so protein skimmer will take a lot of burden off other filters.
just what you to know fact. do what you want. I'm no master at reefing but I only will give facts.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many reefers running No skimmer and have been successful for years. So, a protien skimmer is not necessary. That is the facts.
There are even refers that have experienced results from shutting down their skimmers periodically because their skimmers were removing too much from their system.
Having a skimmer does help with nitrates and phosphates, but water changes done regularly helps even more.
On introducing corals and animals that feed on nutrients in the water column in a new system, I wouldn't run a skimmer. Especially one with a low bioload. Best to monitor parameters and adjust with WC. Then as the reef matures and more animals are introduced, a skimmer would be a viable asset in reducing those water changes to keep the parameters in check.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LTA on the sand, or on the sand up through rock work.
BTA on the rock.
Turn off flow for a couple of hours (no more) make a small depression on the sand, place him there, if he attached in 2 hours, never tough him again.
If he does not, that means possible foot damage, which can easily lead to their demise.
They must attach.

0021BF9B-F0A9-4C53-9A23-BA78CCE77D9A.jpeg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need a skimmer to be successful.

for the OP: A skimmer removes organics before they break down into NO3 and PO4 and thus can be an effective way of reducing those parameters. There a many here that have either removed their skimmers or run them on a timer because their NO3 and PO4 would otherwise be lower than desired.

Some folks see that green/black tea the skimmers remove as dirty bad stuff, others see is a wonderful food for their corals.

Totally anecdotal, but I will share that I spot feed my nems as a way to keep them in place. I can't say with certainty that it's work, but I like the logic. I have a carpet nem that is very happy where I placed in in the rocks, and they are definitely a class of nems that conventional wisdom says they don't like rocks and prefer sand beds. So there goes your conventional wisdom. Given yours is not happy, I 100% agree to make a pile in the sand near the base of a rock and let it dig in.

Flow and light are very important to nems staying home.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Successful LTA in this 30 gal, no skimmer, led light, 3” sand bed behind live rock, 10% weekly water change, feed 1/2” piece fish/clam 1x wk, clown pair, some macro algae.
Your lta foot looks good, not sure if your light is correct???, parameters good?...
I used cup method to help mine attach, highly recommend it.
F8242BBB-FE1E-4E6F-AB09-21E6577DA9EF.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back