Longnose hawk fish reef safe?

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am interested in a Longnose hawkfish but i have a shrimp so I’m wondering if anyone has had any luck keeping them in a tank together and got it was done? Thank you so much for your help.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two cleaner shrimp and a long nose hawk fish. Very cool fish- unique behavior. I like this fish a lot. It’s never caused any issues for me. It’s mouth seems too small for the cleaner shrimp- that could be why but in my experience it’s been ok.
Hope this helps.
Happy reefing!
8568BA57-041D-43E9-BAF2-E34976DD858E.jpeg

OP
OP
Woodchip

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two cleaner shrimp and a long nose hawk fish. Very cool fish- unique behavior. I like this fish a lot. It’s never caused any issues for me. It’s mouth seems too small for the cleaner shrimp- that could be why but in my experience it’s been ok.
Hope this helps.
Happy reefing!
8568BA57-041D-43E9-BAF2-E34976DD858E.jpeg
Thank you! It’s never bother your fish or corals either right?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish are 50/50 whether they will attack shrimp or not. They wont touch corals or snails so yes they are reef safe, just its a gamble whether they will try and eat your shrimp or not. And no, size does NOT matter to a hawkfish. A 1.5in hawkfish will try and kill a 3 inch cleaner shrimp if it decides to.

OP
OP
Woodchip

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish are 50/50 whether they will attack shrimp or not. They wont touch corals or snails so yes they are reef safe, just its a gamble whether they will try and eat your shrimp or not. And no, size does NOT matter to a hawkfish. A 1.5in hawkfish will try and kill a 3 inch cleaner shrimp if it decides to.
Of the shrimp has a lot of hiding places in the rocks is it more likely to survive or stay unnoticed?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is how hawkfish go. I bought a scarlet hawk, and my neighbor bought one too, same day, same LFS. Mine was fine and never bothered my cleaner shrimp. My friends attacked and killed his within 15 minutes. Its hit or miss, and having a hiding spot will not save it in the event the hawkfish wants to eat it. Now I love hawkfish, i just want you to know there is a possibility of the hawk getting a 40 dollar shrimp meal.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the shrimp has a lot of hiding places in the rocks is it more likely to survive or stay unnoticed?
Hawkfish are natural shrimp hunters, its the main food source for them in the wild. Longnose hawks are experts at getting shrimps and other crunchy morsels out of hidey holes.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great fish, however one day my cleaner shrimp came near him and my guy tony hawk bit the eyes off the shrimp

Fishtastrophy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a longnose hawkfish, and he's a model citizen in our tank. We have two fire red shrimp who went in after him (much, much after), and he swam right up to them to be cleaned. I was terrified he was going to eat them, but he just wanted cleaning like all the others. The reds sometimes clean, sometimes no, but everyone is happy (at least between the hawkfish and the shrimp.)

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful about your shrimp. Had this guy for over 5 years so far and it suddenly gained a taste. I think it's responsible for a death of a fire shrimp and a few peppermint shrimp. Had a cleaner shrimp for years (bit on the large side) and the hawk never bothered it.

20210519_082802~2.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back