Looking at buying an LED lighting system need some help

Andrea Rickman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I found an Ecoxotic programmable E Series E-120 LED Strip for my 75gal set up and am wondering if there is anyone out there that has used this system that might have some reliable opinions on it.

71sAtLC7XZL._SL1500___66835.1447965034.1280.1280.jpg

OP
OP
Andrea Rickman

Andrea Rickman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is price a factor? There's the marine orbit pro that is similar and better.
...Unfortunately, yes. I wish I could say that I have a wad of cash ready to drop on this whole project of mine, but my single mom/single income does have it's limits. :)

OP
OP
Andrea Rickman

Andrea Rickman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, I just need a 'starter' set-up to help establish the coral. I will be starting with that...the critters and fish will come later, I think.

Justiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, I just need a 'starter' set-up to help establish the coral. I will be starting with that...the critters and fish will come later, I think.

http://fluvalaquatics.com/us/saltwater/aquarium-lighting/series/marine-and-reef-2/

Get one to start.

It competes with the marine orbit pro and is less money. (the controller for fluval though is sold seperately and cost 50 bucks. But it's controller is more advanced then the one for orbit. Full control and an app for android and IOS.) It is usable without the controller manually if cost is an issue now you can wait on it.

Plus you can get more PAR by getting another unit if one isn't enough, as two can link to the controller. So get one now for most LPS and soft corals. Then upgrade latter if you want high light requirement corals.

I currently run a marine and reef 2.0 ... it is growing corals. So it isn't horrible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrea Rickman

Andrea Rickman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol..... So this t5 setup that came with, is it more than 1 bulb?
The pic below shows my 125g with t5s and LEDs to show you a difference:
image.jpeg
It's a two bulb setup...not sure what colors because I need to fix it. Which is why I'm contemplating switching to LED...I was told that the fixture needs to be rebuilt (ballast and bulbs). So, if I'm going to have to spend over $150 anyway, I want that investment to have the biggest bang for the buck, ya know.

OP
OP
Andrea Rickman

Andrea Rickman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://fluvalaquatics.com/us/saltwater/aquarium-lighting/series/marine-and-reef-2/

Get one to start.

It competes with the marine orbit pro and is less money. (the controller for fluval though is sold seperately and cost 50 bucks. But it's controller is more advanced then the one for orbit. Full control and an app for android and IOS.) It is usable without the controller manually if cost is an issue now you can wait on it.

Plus you can get more PAR by getting another unit if one isn't enough, as two can link to the controller. So get one now for most LPS and soft corals. Then upgrade latter if you want high light requirement corals.

I currently run a marine and reef 2.0 ... it is growing corals. So it isn't horrible.
Thanks! I'll check this out, too. I love that it can be set up using a mobile app...that sounds more practical with a house full of remote losing boys. ;)

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a two bulb setup...not sure what colors because I need to fix it. Which is why I'm contemplating switching to LED...I was told that the fixture needs to be rebuilt (ballast and bulbs). So, if I'm going to have to spend over $150 anyway, I want that investment to have the biggest bang for the buck, ya know.
You're right you could buy a whole new T5 fixture for that.

SoloSuperman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get one to start.

Seems like there's a catch here :). I've been looking for a good LED, but the price here seems too good to be true. Anyone else using? Looking for zoanthid growth myself, but a couple of these strip are well within the budget.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back