Looking at buying an LED lighting system need some help

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Ok bud...
Think you need to do a bit more research. Many "professionals" are using LEDs., not sure where you're getting your misinfo from.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how many reefers= many?

So would it be safe to say that if the OP doesn't plan on commercializing her dt that leds would still be an affordable solution.

T5's run more wattage and the bulbs need to be replaced, at least yearly, as well as most halfway decent t5 fixtures are just as expensive, if not significantly more than 'cheap Chinese' leds.

Halides run way more wattage, produce a ton of heat, bulbs need to be replaced yearly, and fixtures are significantly more expensive than 'cheap Chinese' leds.

I already quoted the cost of running T5's and did not mention MH
"Only problem is LED will not grow SPS as well as T5's. Oh well, at least you will be saving tons of money on your electric bill and bulb replacement every 6-12 months"

OP said she is planning on keeping some sps and that she already has T5 and just wanted to let her know that she can get away without having to replace them. Perhaps supplement it with LED which would be nice.

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Ok bud...
Think you need to do a bit more research. Many "professionals" are using LEDs., not sure where you're getting your misinfo from.
Many professionals run LED for sps? like who? Look, I run LED on all of my 5 tanks and I do not have T5, just said that since OP said she is interested in having SPS and already had T5
Oh yea, I did tons of research....have you?

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, done plenty of research myself. im not gonna get into this discussion with you, especially on this thread. believe what you want, its a free country.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already quoted the cost of running T5's and did not mention MH
"Only problem is LED will not grow SPS as well as T5's. Oh well, at least you will be saving tons of money on your electric bill and bulb replacement every 6-12 months"

OP said she is planning on keeping some sps and that she already has T5 and just wanted to let her know that she can get away without having to replace them. Perhaps supplement it with LED which would be nice.
Leds grow sps just fine. Leds will grow sps better than a one or two bulb t5 fixture.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about using T2's in combination with a 1/2 way decent Led fixture/s or using times 2 , 2 bulb T5's with the same said Led fixture??

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back