Looking for 1-2 additional fish for a 50g

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 50 gallon (not a cube) that is primarily macro algae, gorgs, and softies. No sump for the moment, but has a large HOB and two powerheads. Current inhabitants are two small ocellaris, one royal gramma, and one pink streaked wrasse. It also houses a Valentini puffer who will be moved to a different tank in about a week. Since the puffer is moving out, I'm considering 1-2 new fish to replace him (and his much-needed fertilizer ;) ). I've been spending time on Google but would love some seasoned reefer opinions.
Requirements:
- Peaceful, of course :)
- Won't nip coral or macro algae

I've been considering in order of coolness:
Flame hawkfish
Midas blenny
Maybe another wrasse?
or some sort of goby?

???

Would prefer someone not too cryptic. The pink streaked already has occupied that niche well enough, lol. What would you do if this was your tank?

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering in order of coolness:
Flame hawkfish
Midas blenny
Maybe another wrasse?
or some sort of goby?

Those are good choices. I believe either a flame or long nose hawk should be in every tank over 40 gallons or so. Midas blennies are great too.

What are the tank dimensions? If it's at least 3', there are a number of wrasses that would be great. Do you have sand?

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Yes, it has a deep sand bed. I'm not worried about anything potentially uprooting macros (I have a few different species of rooting caulerpa and halimeda, but it's easy enough to punch back down). My gramma likes to excavate around her rocks...

The tank is 3' long. :) As far as wrasses, what would might you suggest? I really like them as whole.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as wrasses, what would might you suggest?

So many pretty ones... I would stick to the smaller fairies: like lubbock, yellow fin, pintail. Or any flasher is probably okay, except maybe P. octotaenia. A lot of it depends on what you can find, and how much you are willing to spend.

The tank would also be borderline big enough for the smaller Halichoeres, like chrysus (yellow 'coris') or luecoxanthus or biocellatus.

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many pretty ones... I would stick to the smaller fairies: like lubbock, yellow fin, pintail. Or any flasher is probably okay, except maybe P. octotaenia. A lot of it depends on what you can find, and how much you are willing to spend.

The tank would also be borderline big enough for the smaller Halichoeres, like chrysus (yellow 'coris') or luecoxanthus or biocellatus.

Hmm. I may have the opportunity to adopt a long fin ruby fairy wrasse from a friend, do you have any experience with that one? Haven't researched them too much yet.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I may have the opportunity to adopt a long fin ruby fairy wrasse from a friend, do you have any experience with that one? Haven't researched them too much yet.

I tried one once, but it didn't make it out of QT. That isn't to say they're delicate...it's just what happened with mine. The tank size is probably borderline with C. rubeus, and they are also slightly aggressive compared to other fairies.

We'll ask the experts ( @evolved , @eatbreakfast ) what they think of a C. rubeus in a 3' 50 gallon with a pink streak wrasse.

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried one once, but it didn't make it out of QT. That isn't to say they're delicate...it's just what happened with mine. The tank size is probably borderline with C. rubeus, and they are also slightly aggressive compared to other fairies.

We'll ask the experts ( @evolved , @eatbreakfast ) what they think of a C. rubeus in a 3' 50 gallon with a pink streak wrasse.
Thank you, that would be super helpful. The bonus with this fish would be his locality and freebie-ness. They've had him for about two years in a 75 FOWLR and are moving, can't say that I've ever heard them gripe about his demeanor. But I definitely don't want anyone picking on the little retiring pink streaked.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the flame hawk.

OP
OP
cosmicbread

cosmicbread

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will not take on the ruby long fin, but I was told this morning that they also have a Lubbock's. Maybe an older fish. From my research this morning, I believe one will be happy in a 50?

Either him, or I believe I was do a Flame Hawk. Thanks for your help, everyone.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A rubeus SHOULD be fine with a pink streak. But 50g is borderline.
Agree - but it may also limit your ability to add other Cirrhilabrus or Paracheilinus in the future once established.
Ok, I will not take on the ruby long fin, but I was told this morning that they also have a Lubbock's. Maybe an older fish. From my research this morning, I believe one will be happy in a 50?
Yes - a better choice.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back