Which controller

• Total voters

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting a reef controller, and i was wondering about what you guys and girls think is the best, and why

how did you decide which one to get...

with price not being an object on the decision, as they are all pretty equal by 50$ difference, what did you get?

apex, or reefkeeper, and jr, or elite?

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 Apex controllers (home and office tanks.) At the time I purchased, the Apex feature set was far greater than the RKE, especially Web connectivity (although I understand some issues may have been addressed by DA.) Missing from the list is Profilux which many consider to be among the top controllers.

My experience with Apex has been wonderful from all perspective (cost/performance, support, reliability...)

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run apex controller and know several others that do also nothing wrong with reefkeeper just prefer the apex

Glenn

Reefer and Model Railroad
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of it should depend on what you plan to do with the controller - basic lights, temp, ph can be handled by the RKL for a lot less than the Apex. if you want more control, built-in web and variable speed ports (LED dimming capability), and planning for the future, then the Apex has everything you need. And there are various options between those two that meet most people's needs too.

I have two RKL's and one Apex ... they all do what I need for the specific tank, but the Apex is the one that I bought specifically for my 180 build this Fall.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 Apex controllers (home and office tanks.) At the time I purchased, the Apex feature set was far greater than the RKE, especially Web connectivity (although I understand some issues may have been addressed by DA.) Missing from the list is Profilux which many consider to be among the top controllers.

My experience with Apex has been wonderful from all perspective (cost/performance, support, reliability...)

That was exactly why I went with the Apex. Also, the customer support from the other company is supposed to be lacking.

+1 on the Profilux, if you've got the budget.

CJ

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm biased about the RKE because I have one. So far so good. I haven't had any issues with it so far. The Apex sounds like a nice controller as well.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned the Reefkeeper Elite since it first came out, and looking at the Apex makes me envious to this day. It just seems like they're ahead when it comes to updates and new products.

In my view, there are two particularly strong selling points for the Apex over the RKE: The Apex WXM module can control vortechs (which could be nice, I think); The Apex software is web-based, unlike RK's myReef 2.0 (Windows-only), so you can do things with the Apex from any browser. As a Mac user at home, actually being able to use the controller's software would be nice, so I'd get the Apex if I had the chance to start over at this point. That being said, there are iPhone/android apps for the Reefkeeper controller. Just note that the iPhone app is NOT an officially supported product. Depending on your opinion of digital aquatics, that may or may not be a bad thing. It doesn't affect me either way.

As for the AC Jr vs RKL comparison, the software advantage goes away. The AC Jr uses AquaNotes, which is also Windows-only. I haven't seen or used either controller in-person, so I'll leave it at that.

OP
OP
Jeepguy242

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i looked at the profilux, way out of my price range, i think from the answers from you guys here, im leaning tward the apex, i got a friend here that has a RKL and he wants an apex too

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I would suggest is to go all the way in, unless you are really sure the JR or Lite will do everything you need. Seems to me that nearly everyone I know who has bought one of the limited modules eventually is selling it hoping to recoup enough to buy the bigger one.

OP
OP
Jeepguy242

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I would suggest is to go all the way in, unless you are really sure the JR or Lite will do everything you need. Seems to me that nearly everyone I know who has bought one of the limited modules eventually is selling it hoping to recoup enough to buy the bigger one.

AHH YES!!! the go big or go home theory!!!! Buy once, Cry once!!!, i completely agree, ther is no sence in half wrassing it the first time, i think im gonna heed that advice, and my own instinct, and go with the apex, one that i can controll from the computer, and my droid... with an extra 8 outlet power strip.. if i cant run a 125 on 16 outlets, i got serious problems....

im looking at the one that has the temp and ph probe included, now i just got to sell my BIG protien skimmer to fund this, as i just bought a chiller (used) and im kinda tapped right now..

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pass on the ReefKeepers, their service sucks (to say the least) and based on what I've read the Apex is more versatile. I've got a RKE and RKL and although they work they just seem junky to me. My $.02.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know, I just purchased mine a couple of days ago from TB Aquatics for $455 shipped with a PH probe. Amazing price and they are a sponsor here.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pass on the ReefKeepers, their service sucks (to say the least) and based on what I've read the Apex is more versatile. I've got a RKE and RKL and although they work they just seem junky to me. My $.02.

Agree 100 percent. Service is the worst I have dealt with. Just sold my RK to get the Apex.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted apex, but you should wait for the apex jr imo. That's what I'll be getting when It comes out. Here's some outdated by a month or two info about it

"We were able to get more information on the upcoming Neptune Systems Apex Jr controller we touched on yesterday. While we incorrectly dubbed the unit AquaController Jr initially, the additional details from Neptune Systems on the Apex Jr showcase where this new entry-level aquarium controller will make its stand. As we noted yesterday, the Apex Jr definitely borrows from the EnergyBar 4 on the outside but has many of the features from the robust Apex aquarium controller on the inside. Neptune incorporated many useful features in one box to get the aquarium controller newbie up and running quickly, while having the ability to add on and upgrade as needed. More details after the jump.

The Neptune Apex Jr is scheduled to be available next month with these key features:

Starting at $149.95 includes Apex Jr module and temperature probe
Built-in Ethernet port — Has all the same monitoring, control and configuration features of the Apex and Apex Lite
iPhone application
Email or text message alarms
Resettable circuit breaker for over current protection
True data logging on all monitor probes and outlets
Four independently controllable 120V outlets — 8 Amps each and total current must be less than 15 Amps
All AquaBus accessories work with the Apex Jr
Plug and Play AquaBus expansion
Two-port AquaBus hub for expansion – Expandable up to five AquaBus accessories
Simple firmware updates over Ethernet
Four Mounting Holes for easy installation
Compact custom aluminum enclosure (7.5 x 3.75 x 1.8 in.)"

cmcneil

coral junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i voted for the apex because i know several people who own them and have seen what the can do,however i own an ACJR.the JR met my needs and budget at the time and did everything i was asking from it.i have had my JR for 3 years now and still havent upgraded and have never had a single problem with it.if and when i do upgrade it will be to an apex so i can control my vortecs and dim my leds.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DA has the rudest most inept csr's I have dealt with in a long time! If you think you might want to try a digital aquatics controller, do a search on salinity probes...I sold my da equipment and purchased an Apex. I like my Apex because it works, no excuses, no 'do-overs', it just works right out of the box. Customer support from Neptune is outstanding. My Apex reports to my phone, beeps when the ato needs water in the reservoir, etc.

Last edited:

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the reefkeeper elite, With that said it is easy to setup and adjust. Never had an issue with it.

However, If I was starting over with a controller I would probably go Apex for all that you get right away. More interface options and network options. Lots of software delays from the guys at digital aquatics.

I dont plan on switching over as what I have works great. But to buy a higher end unit go apex. To buy a entry level unit the RKL is hard to beat for $100.

Just my two cents.....

Mojo~

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back