Which controller

• Total voters

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right about the RKL and being a good entry level controller. I would however like to see the new Apex JR though.

sf_ramsden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going for the Apex Lite. I may be upset with myself down the road for not going all out and getting the Apex, but we will see. I did a lot of research and decided Apex was the best. Then I just needed to decide between Apex and Apex Lite...

kuyatwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the apex jr gonna be just as upgradable as the full blown version?

I know the ac jr you had to use aquanotes to remotely access your computer and had to have a computer on all the time with jr plugged in to access it. Apex has built in web server so you can access it through any web page smartphone or computer.

If you can afford it get the apex lite or in my opinion get full apex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edfreeburg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to reef aquariums as a hobby, but do research on reef biology. We have a reef keeper elite system in my lab that has been kind of a headache to get up and going. We use the RKE to monitor and log a few water quality parameters, as well as turn on and off some accessories. They have a lot of bugs stemming from firmware upgrade issues to whole system reset if your accessories are too power hungry at turn on.

That being said, the RK community was very helpful in putting in their 2 cents for fixes to common problems and DA employees troll their boards. If you end up with an RKE system, be prepared for a few headaches, but an insanely helpful group of customers willing to help other RKE users. However, DA phone support is pretty bad and you can't order systems with a PO. :)

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the AC Jr and when I upgraded to a larger system, I went with the Apex. I have since added the WMX to control my two MP40's (highly recommended).

I just put in a pre-order for the Apex Jr to replace the AC Jr on my brood stock system. Controlling everything via the web is the way to go.

Neptune has great service and plenty of resources on the web for support.

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ACSerial2Web

You can use that to connect to the acJr via the web and AquaNotes on the iPhone

It is how i pull the stats for the Banner on my website:
LegoZ's Reef Tank

I have a RK2 and an acJR and plan on getting an Apex when I get around to it, I've setup an Apex on another tank and am fairly impressed with it overall.

Last edited:

kayl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Aquacontroller Apex and am absolutely thrilled with it. It can do pretty much anything you can imagine with some creative coding on your end.
Plus the WXM module allows me to control my Vortechs with the Apex; feed mode, night mode, etc :)

LittleDabOSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From everything I've read so far it seems like Apex is the way to go for us but, how easy would it be for someone not so computer literate like myself aka the grandma who wouldn't have a clue about things like creative coding?

Bottom line for me.... is this really something that a layman can set up and use or would it be a waste of money for someone who may not be able to take full advantage of it's features?

Note** Sorry not trying to hijack the thread here. Just figured I'd ask here instead of starting a whole new thread on the subject of controllers.

Last edited:

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From everything I've read so far it seems like Apex is the way to go for us but, how easy would it be for someone not so computer literate like myself aka the grandma who wouldn't have a clue about things like creative coding?

Botttom line for me.... is this really something that a layman can set up and use or would it be a waste of money for someone who may not be able to take full advantage of it's features?

Unlike some controllers, you do not need experience with coding. In fact, I believe they dumbed programming the ports down big time.

kayl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bottom line for me.... is this really something that a layman can set up and use or would it be a waste of money for someone who may not be able to take full advantage of it's features?

Note** Sorry not trying to hijack the thread here. Just figured I'd ask here instead of starting a whole new thread on the subject of controllers.

Check out the Apex New User Guide

:)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 29.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back