AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So I've been "aquariuming" for awhile however, I did not gain good experience due to rash teenage decisions and mostly blew my money on equipment/fish I didn't know how to use/care for. Now after college I'm back and have the money/patience to do it right.

ANYWAYS I have a 55g display tank and have constructed a DiY Refugium/sump from another 55g. So the idea here is to connect the sump with an overflow box and pump, already purchased, but I'm concerned about adding in the new sump.

In the 55g I have about 120lb LR and in the tank is a yellow tang zebra bar goby da finch clown blue damsel and yellow tale damsel. With HOB skimmer and filter

I'm going to have a DSB in the fuge and plan on adding about 10-20lbs in the fuge and after about a month add my macro algaes and Copepods

The last piece of the puzzle is choosing a mechanical filter for when the water leaves the overflow box, I've considered a DiY rotter tube (screw on PVC filter floss holder) or using what I have constructed in the picture and is sitting in the input, basically an egg crate box with four stories. Which I would but different mediums on each level, still deciding the best move.

Besides that looking for advice on incorporating the sump and any other advice

And before I forget the tang recently was given/forced upon me when I got him he was eating well and patrolling the tank like a yellow tang should however after about 2 weeks, maybe longer he has developed a dark patch behind his eye on one side and is behaving more skiddish so I can't really get a picture, his nutrition is not the best for a tang so I bought a seaweed clip and seaweed just waiting for delivery. Not quite sure what I'm battling with this guy.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sizable dark black spot is often an injury, sometimes a bad infection can be at play. We will need a photo for a positive ID and best way to handle. :)

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the way your sump is setup just may be a pain when everything is already set up to get in and change your media with that sort of setup. Just my 2 cents

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your egg crate tower, on top I would have a filter sponge (get a big one and cut to size) for the 2nd compartment, throw in some purigen or activated carbon, for the 3rd compartment, throw in some Matrix or ceramic rings.

I would also put a large sponge in your final baffle column right before the return pump.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, but will need a photo of the tang in order to make a diagnosis.

OP
OP
AlexChef

AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He really doesn't want to be photographed or even looked at very strange behavior, I at first thought it was an abbrassion when I first noticed it I'll try again at feeding time

OP
OP
AlexChef

AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the way your sump is setup just may be a pain when everything is already set up to get in and change your media with that sort of setup. Just my 2 cents
The egg crate can be lifted out I have the bare minimums for a stand so I'll have a lot of room, if I add a ball valve to the overflow box plumbing if I turn that off I'll preserve my siphon?? That was my plane for changing medias

OP
OP
AlexChef

AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your egg crate tower, on top I would have a filter sponge (get a big one and cut to size) for the 2nd compartment, throw in some purigen or activated carbon, for the 3rd compartment, throw in some Matrix or ceramic rings.

I would also put a large sponge in your final baffle column right before the return pump.

I was concerned about my copepods getting stuck in the sponge on top cause this was the original plan I just overthought it and decided to try and figure something else for the filter

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was concerned about my copepods getting stuck in the sponge on top cause this was the original plan I just overthought it and decided to try and figure something else for the filter

For pods, you could just interchange a small rock from your fuge/ dt and wait for the new rock to populate, and repeat that

OP
OP
AlexChef

AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a good look and it appears a grain of sand sized bump on the bottom fin so I'm assuming the mark on the side is an abbrassion from scratching from the ich preparing water now for a FW dip

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That dart fish doesn't look like it has eaten in weeks :/

But on to the tang, it's out of focus but best I can tell it looks like a bruise or injury of some sort. This is not my expertise as I typically leave these alone and let nature take its course if not obviously an exterior injury.

I can't see ich because of the focus but it's a very good bet if you don't qt

OP
OP
AlexChef

AlexChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That dart fish doesn't look like it has eaten in weeks :/

But on to the tang, it's out of focus but best I can tell it looks like a bruise or injury of some sort. This is not my expertise as I typically leave these alone and let nature take its course if not obviously an exterior injury.

I can't see ich because of the focus but it's a very good bet if you don't qt

Must be a bad shot of the dart cause he's a Pig! But decided on trying FW dip after work then if that doesn't work setting up QT

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right, the copepods and amphipods won't make it through sponges. If you have ich, the fish will need to be removed and treated. You could try the tank transfer method and the DT needs to be empty for number of days. If you think your tang looks thin, try a variety of fresh, frozen and dry food to fatten him up. Look for frozen foods high in fatty acids like fish eggs/roe. Keep the seaweed available every day when it comes in. Recommend offering food in smaller portions several times a day encouraging eating.

Great pic of your husky!

Good Luck! And Happy Reefing!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell anything from the pictures either. What were we looking for?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back