Looking for an easy, high light coral.

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I am looking for an easy-intermediate high light coral to take up space in the middle of my frag tank. The tank is 48x36x12 and lit by a 250w 14k Phoenix MH. I'd consider the flow to be moderate. Just looking for something to fill the hole right in the middle of the tank.

Mind you I have not had much success with SPS in this tank probably due to the flow. I've had two Tyree Ponape Birdsnest frags die now.

Thank you all for your help. I look forward to your responses.

OP
OP
B

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora's!!!!! :D

Would you recommend caps or digitata? I had kept a cap under my 36w PC but killed it during the move on accident (put it in a freshwater cup instead of the salt cup, whoops!). Did fairly well, but not great.

Here is the tank when I first set it up (keep in mind I do have a Berlin skimmer running on it, pulls out crud like crazy). There is now full egg crate and sand (bad idea but we're here to learn right?):

DSC07224.jpg

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any type of Monti should do well, caps, digitata, confusa, etc. It's really up to you what growth form and color you're looking for. For lower light areas I'd suggest a Pavona maldivensis. They have small sps type polyps but prefer lower light conditions. Very easy to keep.

stinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rics and zoas are nice, colorful, easy to care, and do well under high light!!

Just make sure you increase the light level slowly.

kharn101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
yep, like they are all saying monti, caps...easy to care for...

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also found Porites cylindrica to be a relatively easy to maintain SPS as well. They don't require anywhere near the care of acros, come in a couple different colors, and often display both plating and branching growth forms in the same piece. They are a bit more difficult than Montis, but I've had luck with them in tanks designed for only LPS.

OP
OP
B

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the blue chalice I have in there now is doing great. So I'm happy with that.

But I want more flow. I have a spray bar (if you look at the photo) going from right to left powered by a Rio 2100. Would a Koralia 3 be too much for this if I aimed it from the top left corner at a slight angle toward the other side?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back