looking for beginner fish that would work for 30 gallon

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now my criteria are rather strict so we will see if anything comes but basically, I want something intertidal or at least looks intertidal (what does this mean? It means I don't want something overly colourful like an angel) beginner friendly although I'm ok with putting in extra work if it means a perfect fish it has to be fine with these inverts (tiger conch, porcelain anemone crab, and mid-size sea snails around 1.5 inches in diam) they also have to be fine with RFAs and won't eat macro algae like cabbage, grapes, and dragons tongue and of course 30 gallons compatible

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of ocelaris clowns would work great. Just the plain orange/white. They also come in black/white as well as other designer options from ORA. A few Banggai cardinals would work great as well. And then you also have the option of going with some plain chromis damsels as well. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
FishTank

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of ocelaris clowns would work great. Just the plain orange/white. They also come in black/white as well as other designer options from ORA. A few Banggai cardinals would work great as well. And then you also have the option of going with some plain chromis damsels as well. Hope this helps!
I could definitely do bangais although I'm trying to stray far away from clowns as they can be aggressive and would probably clash with the porcelain crab for territory

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now my criteria are rather strict so we will see if anything comes but basically, I want something intertidal or at least looks intertidal (what does this mean? It means I don't want something overly colourful like an angel) beginner friendly although I'm ok with putting in extra work if it means a perfect fish it has to be fine with these inverts (tiger conch, porcelain anemone crab, and mid-size sea snails around 1.5 inches in diam) they also have to be fine with RFAs and won't eat macro algae like cabbage, grapes, and dragons tongue and of course 30 gallons compatible
Intertidal to me seems like grey or brown but different shades of it to still look interesting.
I disagree with blennies - they’re going to be munching all over algae.
You could have something like the Pink Streaked Wrasse or a Wetmorella species of Wrasse. These won’t harm wantedinverts and also help with pests like Nudibranchs.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown Scooter Blenny will work and meets all the reqs.
Almost any species of Synchiropus will work but the issue is that they’re not exactly beginner friendly.
Remember ‘Scooter Blenny’ is just a common name for different species of Dragonet which are related to the two mandarins.

It’s a common misconception that the Scooter Blennies are good beginner fish due to the common name. Reality is they’re a PITA to keep fat and although easier to feed prepared food their care still overlaps a lot with the mandarin dragonets.

OP
OP
FishTank

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost any species of Synchiropus will work but the issue is that they’re not exactly beginner friendly.
Remember ‘Scooter Blenny’ is just a common name for different species of Dragonet which are related to the two mandarins.

It’s a common misconception that the Scooter Blennies are good beginner fish due to the common name. Reality is they’re a PITA to keep fat and although easier to feed prepared food their care still overlaps a lot with the mandarin dragonets.
is this all blennies or just some other fish that are called blennies

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this all blennies or just some other fish that are called blennies
Scooter blennies are the only ones. True blennies are easy but they will munch on your macro and other algae.
Scooter blennies look like this;
FF09307F-9660-43E5-A92B-6079DA002777.jpeg

Whilst true blennies look like this;
9F364ADD-6616-4EB6-B00E-2CDE985243EC.jpeg

These are just two species however the body shapes are generally the same with both families.

OP
OP
FishTank

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scooter blennies are the only ones. True blennies are easy but they will munch on your macro and other algae.
Scooter blennies look like this;
FF09307F-9660-43E5-A92B-6079DA002777.jpeg

Whilst true blennies look like this;
9F364ADD-6616-4EB6-B00E-2CDE985243EC.jpeg

These are just two species however the body shapes are generally the same with both families.
are there any gobies that might work? as i find they are pretty common in tide pools

OP
OP
FishTank

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: I'm going to be upgrading to a 75g so my options have opened up quite a bit
(opinions on Sargent majors? yes I know they're damsels)

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only beginner/hardy/easy fish and they all get along:
Bangaii and Pajama Cardinals and Tailspot Blenny (and Clown but you said NO on that)

*tailspot blenny might be a concern with decorative macroalgae but I don't have any

OP
OP
FishTank

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only beginner/hardy/easy fish and they all get along:
Bangaii and Pajama Cardinals and Tailspot Blenny (and Clown but you said NO on that)

*tailspot blenny might be a concern with decorative macroalgae but I don't have any
listen I know everyone loves clowns but I don't know why they are so popular (other than the movie) they are mean, take up entire tanks, everyones dog, grandma, mom, and dad has one, and would kill my porcelain crab for nesting in THEIR anemone they are just not for me

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangaii Cardinal. Emphatically. Color or lack thereof that you want. Chill but hardy. I have one in a 20 gallon that survived clowns (gone now) has moved twice and eats directly from the end of the “Turkey Baster” Definitely does not mess with inverts. Great personality

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pygmy filefish

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back