Looking for glass lids....

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea sells DIY tank covers that are easily (relatively) customizable. Available on most online sites. I have 2 tanks, each with one, they work great and hold up quite well (now 3 years old and doing well)

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea sells DIY tank covers that are easily (relatively) customizable. Available on most online sites. I have 2 tanks, each with one, they work great and hold up quite well (now 3 years old and doing well)
i just realized you meant Glass Lids - so scratch my recomendation. Not sure why you'd want a glass lid, but to each his/her own

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting custom acrylic lids build for my 75g.

This isn’t the exact one but it’s by the same seller as an example of the work

Attachments

• 1A757176-DF6B-46B0-AE45-D427A760F118.png
    1A757176-DF6B-46B0-AE45-D427A760F118.png
    618.2 KB · Views: 23

Not_Erick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think those are glass, maybe there’s a reason he specifically wants glass lids?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think those are glass, maybe there’s a reason he specifically wants glass lids?
Reduce evaporation, retain heat, durability

I have been using glass lids on almost all my tanks for a long time. Once in a while I take them to my sink and spray them off to clean them

My tanks that have mesh lids evap water at least 2-3x as fast and need daily top offs. My glass lid tanks only need top off once a week

Not_Erick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been using glass lids on almost all my tanks for a long time. Once in a while I take them to my sink and spray them off to clean them

My tanks that have mesh lids evap water at least 2-3x as fast and need daily top offs. My glass lid tanks only need top off once a week
Do you specific cuts to the lid? Ie. overflow, feeding port?
If not Home Depot or Lowe’s sells glass you can easily cut

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By a hinge and handle and have a local glass company cut the glass.
That said glass lids are terrible on a reef tank IMO. They stay dirty inside and block a lot of light. Reduce gas exchange (so I've read) and salt creep is terrible with glass lids
Have them on mine, rectangular panels cut to fit in rimmed aquarium frame, with some supplemental plastic at the rear around return lines. My 2c

Gas exchange: Skimmer solves this.
Dirty on inside: IME this isn’t all that bad and requires infrequent maintenance, and is easy to clean. Pull it out, run under faucet for 10 seconds. Dry and put back. Done.
Salt creep: Have never noticed any of this.

For me the benefits are it cuts down evaporation, which saves heating, and nothing in my tank is going carpet surfing through 5mm of glass.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting, it can also keep airborne debris from getting into your water but I wonder what the negative aspects are such as gas exchange?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, it can also keep airborne debris from getting into your water but I wonder what the negative aspects are such as gas exchange?
This is probably more theoretical than practical. I have a open top sump in a cabinet and the cabinet is open back.

Skimmers can add gas exchange also

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just go to the fish store for this one.

What brand is the tank?

OP
OP
jermzisurmom

jermzisurmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i just realized you meant Glass Lids - so scratch my recomendation. Not sure why you'd want a glass lid, but to each his/her own
Not really fond of glass, just forgot about acrylic or plexi LOL so yeah any help is appreciated. Idk if it's frowned upon or not but any links would be appreciated.

Not_Erick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really fond of glass, just forgot about acrylic or plexi LOL so yeah any help is appreciated. Idk if it's frowned upon or not but any links would be appreciated.
Home Depot has acrylic sheets but they maybe to thin, you could try like a hobby store like hobby lobby or Michael’s if you want to diy

Attachments

• IMG_9377.png
    IMG_9377.png
    141 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
jermzisurmom

jermzisurmom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By a hinge and handle and have a local glass company cut the glass.
That said glass lids are terrible on a reef tank IMO. They stay dirty inside and block a lot of light. Reduce gas exchange (so I've read) and salt creep is terrible with glass lids
I thought so, whats the best alternative

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, All-Glass is the brand. They have changed the name to Aqueon. Most (basically, all) fish stores can get you glass lids for an Aqueon/All-Glass 120.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so, whats the best alternative
There are companies that make lids with mesh. They should come up in a search Some people make their own. I've read polycarbonate is better at not warping than acrylic or lexan. I run all of my tanks open top but I don't have fish that jump

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back