Looking for in tank skimmer recommendations...

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a juwel 260L tank with a tunze 9004 skimmer, it has been running for months and works fine apart from constant micro bubbles. It feels like there is a tiny sweet spot with water level for it to work without creating bubbles. As I have no auto top off it is extremely annoying and I am looking to ditch it in favor of a better in tank skimmer! Can anyone recommend a good in tank skimmer? Thanks in advance!

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just purchased and have been using this skimmer for about 3 months now.

i do not have a ATO also and my water level fluctuates in my sump never have had a problem with micro bubbles!

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may have to incorporate a ATO any HOB skimmer will create bubbles if your water level drops from evaporation and starts sucking air! Try and put a sock over the outlet to maby catch the bubbles ?

OP
OP
Jonesyg

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try your suggestion with the sock, it never gets low enough to suck air, there is a sweet spot where the water level is a quarter above the grill minimum, higher it makes micro bubbles, lower it makes micro bubbles.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DC version of the Tunze should allow you to dial in easier I've heard. I have the bigger in sump Tunze and the DC pump is a joy in dialing in.

Also, you can put an ATO in the display tank. No skimmer reacts really well to water level changes.

SR Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend External skimmer if you have room. Pump feed.
However if only in tank is possible, ATO is a must. Don't really have any in tank skimmer that can auto adjust. Or DC Skimmer that you can play with pump control to tune it.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your suggestions, might look into an ATO then as it will help all round. @Quietman I wish I had got the DC version now!

Just seconding this. I don't think a skimmer exists that won't get fussy if the water level is fluctuating.

I have the smaller version of your skimmer (Tunze 9001) on a 20 gallon AIO with a good ATO as well. Once I got it set, I have not had to touch it again in going on 8 months...

OP
OP
Jonesyg

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear, mine works perfect when in the sweet spot so and ATO will more than likely fix my issues. Just to find a nice compact ATO.Thanks for everyone's input

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back