Looking for Skimmer addition input

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Lots of People I Have kept Tanks reef and Marine since the 1980s. Spent tons of cash on equipment especially skimmers, now after many years I have come to really LOVE the reef octo line of skimmers especially the Classic series 150. I have sold all my corals and want to add more fish to my 125 gallon tank with 36 inch Trigger sump. I have a classic 150 which is GREAT to maintain and use, ease of adjustment and sturdy and QUIET.I know LOTS of Controversy about using two skimmers But I want to add more Triggers and Angels AFTER I rearrange the rock work to throw off the current fish, giving the new guys an equal Headstart. If I now feed more and have more Specimens Do You think I should ADD another skimmer like another 150 Classic or Go bigger ? Your Ideas constructive would be Considered, Thanks.By the way I use Carbon and PO4 remover if I need to. Thanks

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the hobby since the late 80's too. After all those years I only run Tunze skimmers.
9410dc in my 45 frag system and a 9430dc in my 80g 120 total.
A 9430dc, if it would fit, would be my choice for your system.
Set it and forget it. The thing is a beast.

No problems running 2 as many do but usually on larger systems.

This is my 9410dc in the 45 sump.
Been their for almost 3 years and the barrel has not been cleaned.
It just keeps on skimming.
Nice thing is the neck removes with the cup.

20230121_194116.jpg

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a FO only in the 80's dual Eheim canister, reverse flow deep sand bed. Predator tank.
I would run your skimmer until it cannot keep up, there are plenty of good skimmers to choose from. If you run two find one that is not sensitive to changing water conditions, some skimmers go neutral after feeding and can stay that way for hours.

I have this skimmer with a bad pump, I put a Reef Octopus Varios 2 on it, it skims like a beast now, after feeding I can get 1 to2 inches of skim mate right away. Lots of old skimmer bodies out there with bad pumps that can be purchased for cheap, the pump is pricey but fun. Since is now making DC direct replacements for their old AC pumps.
I usually rotate my 3 skimmers every 3 months.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a FO only in the 80's dual Eheim canister, reverse flow deep sand bed. Predator tank.
I would run your skimmer until it cannot keep up, there are plenty of good skimmers to choose from. If you run two find one that is not sensitive to changing water conditions, some skimmers go neutral after feeding and can stay that way for hours.

I have this skimmer with a bad pump, I put a Reef Octopus Varios 2 on it, it skims like a beast now, after feeding I can get 1 to2 inches of skim mate right away. Lots of old skimmer bodies out there with bad pumps that can be purchased for cheap, the pump is pricey but fun. Since is now making DC direct replacements for their old AC pumps.
Thanks forYour R eply.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Been in the hobby since the late 80's too. After all those years I only run Tunze skimmers.
9410dc in my 45 frag system and a 9430dc in my 80g 120 total.
A 9430dc, if it would fit, would be my choice for your system.
Set it and forget it. The thing is a beast.

No problems running 2 as many do but usually on larger systems.

This is my 9410dc in the 45 sump.
Been their for almost 3 years and the barrel has not been cleaned.
It just keeps on skimming.
Nice thing is the neck removes with the cup.

20230121_194116.jpg
Thanks I have had the Comline series of tunzes, Had a hard time getting it to skim, and their plactic is cheap in my Opinion.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth you cant compair the comline series to a 9410dc or above.
You truely do not have to do anything but turn it on, set it and leave it alone.
If you get a chance to look at one you may like what you see.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth you cant compair the comline series to a 9410dc or above.
You truely do not have to do anything but turn it on, set it and leave it alone.
If you get a chance to look at one you may like what you see.
How is the construction compared to Reef Octopus acrylic Wise?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the construction compared to Reef Octopus acrylic Wise?
Forget the compairison.
The 9430 is a tank. The 9410 is its smaller brother. German quality but not the over built skimmers you see today. Their is no need, except for looks, of heavy acrylic construction, imo.
If you want a skimmer that you never have to adjust then this is a skimmer that will last a lifetime.

You dont need to turn it off when feeding or working in the tank.

I also run a Tunze 3171 carx and its built well too.

I am of strong enough opinion that you can go buy a 9430 dc and if you dont like It I will buy it for what you paid. I can always use another. I contemplated buying a used one for 1/2 price but waited to long before it sold.

The 8" 9430dc in my 40 breeder sump.
20230127_094415.jpg

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget the compairison.
The 9430 is a tank. The 9410 is its smaller brother. German quality but not the over built skimmers you see today. Their is no need, except for looks, of heavy acrylic construction, imo.
If you want a skimmer that you never have to adjust then this is a skimmer that will last a lifetime.

You dont need to turn it off when feeding or working in the tank.

I also run a Tunze 3171 carx and its built well too.

I am of strong enough opinion that you can go buy a 9430 dc and if you dont like It I will buy it for what you paid. I can always use another. I contemplated buying a used one for 1/2 price but waited to long before it sold.

The 8" 9430dc in my 40 breeder sump.
20230127_094415.jpg
Thanks But I don t think I will go Tunze

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had no luck with comline however for hang on, I really like and have used the Ice cap line (K2 series will be your best bet for this type tank)
Alot of skimmers on closeout at https://www.coralvue.com/outlet?utm...365877470&mc_cid=df4ff3aa6e&mc_eid=939ff57ce4

I've never bought from Coralvue, but looks like they have a lot of open box sales listed as "new with damaged box", wonder how reliable that is or its a crap shoot with potential damage? Reef Octopus 90 HOB $244 vs $324 :flushed-face:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never bought from Coralvue, but looks like they have a lot of open box sales listed as "new with damaged box", wonder how reliable that is or its a crap shoot with potential damage? Reef Octopus 90 HOB $244 vs $324 :flushed-face:
I bought a coralview skimmer for my old nano about 7 years ago. It was reduced and an open box.
No issues except for a torn box.
Also bought enough open boxed stuff to feel good about the purchase.
Skimmer in crowded 20g nano sump.
20181101_183436.jpg

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a coralview skimmer for my old nano about 7 years ago. It was reduced and an open box.
No issues except for a torn box.
Also bought enough open boxed stuff to feel good about the purchase.
Skimmer in crowded 20g nano sump.
20181101_183436.jpg

Well, looks like their shipping (to Alaska) would make up for the discount.. :downcast-face-with-sweat:

Screenshot_20230218-055940_Chrome.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My current skimmer came from them and works flawless and box was even damaged as noted

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, looks like their shipping (to Alaska) would make up for the discount.. :downcast-face-with-sweat:

Screenshot_20230218-055940_Chrome.jpg
Ouch! Yea shipping along with everything else is never going down.
I have tried to sell a BM filter roller and a 6 bulb Giesemann T5 unit. Each time I thought I had a sale the shipping pushed the price by over $100 so no sale.
They sit in my closet now, lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back