Looking for some advice

Rbull8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
About 2 years ago I started my 120 gallon 4ft. mixed reef tank. I made a NSA scape using dry Marco rock. This was my first attempt at creating a sacpe. It came out ok but there are a few things i wish i would have done differently. I have about 30-40 corals in the tank and almost everything is thriving. I recently placed an order for a new Inovated marine 200 gallon ext. My original plan was to use my original aqua scape from the 120 and add on to it to fill the additional 2 feet for the new 200 gallon. I would then break down the 120 as it is a old tank I got on Craigslist that still holds water but has a few scratches here and there. This would save me a ton of money as I could use all the gear from the original tank, lights, powerhead, contoler, etc. Also there wouldnt be much of a cycle time as my rock is cycled and cover in Coralie algee. Win win all around.

Here is my dilemma,
About 1 year ago I noticed a few vermetid snails on the rock. I added bubble bee snails, cut back on broadcast feeding and even removed them the best I could. I would see a few here and there but not to bad. Last week I noticed that the population exploded. The corals don't really seem to care that their there so I don't feel like there affecting the tank negatively, but it bothers me know their there.

I'm kind of at a lost as what to do with the new 200. Transferring a scape over to my brand new dream thank that is infested with vermetid snails doesnt feel like its going to sit well with me. If money was no issues I would just start from scratch with a whole new system/ scape, but realistically this hobby is not cheep and buying all new lights/pumps/rock to be able to keep both tanks running is going to be difficult.

Am I over thinking this? Are vermetid snails going to happen no mater what? Most tanks I see have vermetid snails and I have no other pest problems as of now. Are vermetid just a part of this all and I should just except them? I'm curious what everyone has to say. Thanks for reading. I appreciate all the help and tips I have found from you guys over the years.
I

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm shutting a tank down now due to letting my vermetids go unchecked, and a few other reasons. i'll never let them go unchecked again though, and do everything i can to keep them out of my new tank going forward.

they aren't the worst pest, but they can get out of hand and ruin a tank in my opinion.

all that said, i'm not expecting to keep them out of the new tank, but i will sure as hell try and be a lot more vigilant this time.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about going the bumblebee snail route again? Talk to Reef Cleaners about the amount they would recommend and throw them in. They have always worked for me but I know everyones systems are different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rbull8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I'm still at a lost. I better make up my mined soon. New Inovated Marine 200ext is set to arive next week. Only took 2 months for the MTO, site said it could be up to 6 months. Super excited!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back