Looking to Start a 90Gal Tank

Zach Sonker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am a long time freshwater keeper, and about a yr ago I started a 15Gal reef tank full with some lps, sps, and zoas. I am finding that I want a bigger thank, as I get rid of some freshwater tanks. I was hoping the community could help me pick out some equipment based off of experience. I was able to keep my 15Gal thriving so I believe I am ready for the work involved, I just dont have the know-how to not make costly first time buyers mistakes (in this side of the hobby.)

I have picked out a 90Gal "reef ready" tank from my LFS and it is drilled with overflow installed
31mLH8rd0CL.jpg
(the tank I have picked is not rimless and has glass lids, but is the same tank as this one)

I also will have a stand and I have a spare 20Gal tank, I was wondering if that was going to be a big enough sump.

Everything else I was going to let the community recommend items on, and I would go with the most popular Picks, (pumps, heaters, skimmers, lighting, etc.) I am not rich, but I am willing to stretch out the build process long enough to afford higher priced items, if they are worth the extra money, and this will not be a quick project anyways.

Thanks guys, I know I am asking a lot of you, but I will need help building my first tank, and I know a lot of you would love to help me upgrade from a 15Gal to a 90.

To bad nobody has yet made a "Part builder" guide like they have in the Computer world...

Thanks!

budau18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my two cents. When I started my tank I knew nothing other then my hours of reading about water parameters, maintenance etc. No equipment knowledge, that being said I bought lights twice powerheads twice and a skimmer twice.
Lighting wise I assume it’s 48x18x24 you have lots of options t5, halides, reputable led such as kessil, radion, Ai.
Power heads I have a similar tank 110 gallon I’ve got a gyre 150 and a MP40 on the other end both are great options. Slimmer there’s a few good options just make sure it fits and you can provide the proper water level, that was my problem. As far as a sump I’d go as big as you can. If it’s a 4 foot tank put a 40 breeder with it. It’s cheap and decent size.

OP
OP
Zach Sonker

Zach Sonker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my two cents. When I started my tank I knew nothing other then my hours of reading about water parameters, maintenance etc. No equipment knowledge, that being said I bought lights twice powerheads twice and a skimmer twice.
Lighting wise I assume it’s 48x18x24 you have lots of options t5, halides, reputable led such as kessil, radion, Ai.
Power heads I have a similar tank 110 gallon I’ve got a gyre 150 and a MP40 on the other end both are great options. Slimmer there’s a few good options just make sure it fits and you can provide the proper water level, that was my problem. As far as a sump I’d go as big as you can. If it’s a 4 foot tank put a 40 breeder with it. It’s cheap and decent size.

Thanks man. Yea it seems everyone buys everything twice. And that is what I am hoping to avoid. I like the gyre pumps for sure though.

budau18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be finicky at times with cleaning but it moves a ton of water. If you go the gyre only route I would do two of them with one on each end or it’s hard to get a good varied flow

OP
OP
Zach Sonker

Zach Sonker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be finicky at times with cleaning but it moves a ton of water. If you go the gyre only route I would do two of them with one on each end or it’s hard to get a good varied flow
alright, seems like a good gameplan. So i have the list for the circulation pumps done. Thanks man

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back