Loosing Fish

CDBugz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Danielle and this is my first post here unfortunately. My husband and I have a red sea 34 gallon. Set up for a few months cycled with live rock and waited until water perimeters were good before adding fish. We added had 2 clownfish to start and then added 3 yellow tailed damsels . They were thriving until we added 2 snails and a cleaner shrimp and suddenly were loosing fish at an alarming rate. This is our second last damsels and I'm certain he's on his way out . Just wondering if anyone knows what this might be and if I can save the poor guy.
IMG_20191020_093955.jpg

Lilah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does he have any white spots? Cloudy eyes? if so maybe try copper medication for Ich. If you think he has flukes do a freshwater dip. Maybe isolate him from the rest of the tank if you can, to spot feed and provide meds if you decide to do so.

OP
OP
CDBugz

CDBugz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does he have any white spots? Cloudy eyes? if so maybe try copper medication for Ich. If you think he has flukes do a freshwater dip. Maybe isolate him from the rest of the tank if you can, to spot feed and provide meds if you decide to do so.
No white spots but total loss of color and they're is white strings hanging from them . Eyes are cloudy as well and they basically barely breathe . My husband dipped the original sick clownfish but it didn't seem to help .

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like Brook....they would need to be removed to a hospital tank for treatment with metroplex. A FW bath will provide some temperary relief before they enter the hospital tank.

Your display tank needs to be left without fish for 6 weeks and be sure not to cross contaminate anything from your hospital tank.

Here is the write-up for this disease:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that it sounds like brooklynella. The damsel
Picture also looks like bacterial/possibly brook and I can see some white spots although it may be just the resolution. More pics would help.

you should remove all fish and treat asap, also you will have to keep your display tank fallow for about 6 weeks before adding any new fish to prevent reinfection.
Also, a good idea is to always quarantine new fish before adding to your main display, unfortunately, too many sick fish are sold these days...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back