Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ velvet?

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I'd known you wanted to try metro. I have a lot of it from cichlid days! Haven't read where it helps saltwater ich tho so never tried it.

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain brodda. I had a fish that died on me and I could not find it. Ich. Spread to several otherwise healthy fish then my butterfly got Popeye really bad. He is gone, my cardinal is gone, my Atlantic blue looks ashy and now my very healthy Aussie black percula is looking ashy. Its not ich on them. No clue what it is. But my naso, 6 line, firefish and angel look perfect.....
Man bro sorry about your loss to.

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang dude. I'm sorry. I feel ya bro as I've lost a couple of fish in the past couple of weeks. Hang in there

Abiathar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel for you. I've been lucky and not had any issues with disease since my freshwater days growing up. I remember treating the fish then with something from the pet store, but I've slept many times since and couldn't tell you what it was. If you haven't thought of it already, make sure to have some PVC pipes and elbows in the QT for the fish to hide. I've never ran even a bowl of sand in a QT tank, so I can't help you there, but agree that any dry/dead reef sand should be fine.

Steve

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry about the fish man! I have used herbtana before and it worked well. also smells great!

I started to use it Bart, but you have to run your tank without the skimmer for 10 day, and I have bio-pellets running. After 5 days I decided to stop and still had to wait 4 days before the skimmer wouldnt over flow. Didnt want to take a chance and make things worse with bad water params.

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive use kick ich too on a buddies tank and work fine. Did not thing to the corals even wild ones.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chris any updates?

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have the 55 gallon up and running. I have not lost anymore fish at the moment. The yellow tang looks awful as do the clowns. But they are hanging in there. I installed the UV sterilizer and hope to receive my order in the next day or so. I ordered a sponge filter to add in combination the hang on the back filter that has filter floss type sponge block in it. I also have a new reliable eheim heater and salifert copper test and 2 bottles of cupramine on the way. I have to go out of town for work unfortunately til late Wed. So Thursday will probably be the day I start to transfer every fish over to the hospital tank.

Kevan, I might need to borrow your tubs again. I don't have a lot of confidence that I'm going to be able to catch all the fish in the fish trap. Because the clowns are in hiding and not eating real well.

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess who also had extra sponge filters and HOB filters?
If you need any help just yell. Loud.

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sponge filter was $7 so I just went ahead and go it. I have like 3 hang on the back filters, and I really wanted a reliable heater, instead of the little cheap ones I had lying around.

Here's a question folks: If you can't have live rock or any substrate in a hospital tank, then it is suggested to use a sponge filter to keep bacteria in the tank. But copper kills nitrifying bacteria, so what's the point?

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're correct--there is no point. The tank will not have bacteria period. You'll just keep doing water changes to keep ammonia down, and the sponge filter's benefit is more the air than anything, plus the fact that it catches small bits of dirt. The air is the most important thing you can provide, since medications deplete the oxygen supply, and ammonia buildup, if any, also is smothering.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back