lost a clownfish

Wesdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 2 weeks ago my female ocellaris clown passed away leaving my Male all alone. Both were 9 years old, would it be to late to try to get him a new girlfriend or would he just kill any new addition because he's becoming the female of the tank?

OP
OP
Wesdog

Wesdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he's an ocellaris, I'm nervous about that because all the clowns my lfs has are way smaller so he may kill them. If I get one that's closer to his size it may be a female and I don't know how long it takes a Male start transitioning to female. just don't want to kill a bunch of clowns trying to get another pair.

OP
OP
Wesdog

Wesdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's my main worry, my lfs does have a rather large ocellaris that isn't paired, so I know it's a female but I dont know how long it takes a clown to transition. I don't want to drop a big female in to have it kill my clown.

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their might be an alternative. If you put you clown in a separate tank that's not the display tank then you add a larger female to the display tank and then add your original male

OP
OP
Wesdog

Wesdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see but what if my current clown has already became a female, I'm just stuck between not wanting to kill my fish and not killing younger clowns trying to get my clown a new partner

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His clown is definitely female. It's the largest of a pair he's had for years.

Your best chance op is to get a small clown that's definitely not female and watch how they interact.

OP
OP
Wesdog

Wesdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you everyone for the replys and help, after getting the new female and adding her into the tank they seemed alright. Minor aggression but nothing that raised any concerns. Woke up this morning to the new female dead and what I feel was a smug look on my males face. I'm just going to let him live as a bachelor from now on

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you everyone for the replys and help, after getting the new female and adding her into the tank they seemed alright. Minor aggression but nothing that raised any concerns. Woke up this morning to the new female dead and what I feel was a smug look on my males face. I'm just going to let him live as a bachelor from now on
Well at least you tried.

MarinaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think your male is guilty. Stress is more like it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back