Lost Ricordea

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ricordea detached itself last night, and I have thus far been unable to locate it. I have a 32g biocube, and while it may resurface sometime, my primary concern is, if it dies, what danger is there is to the tank? (7 months old, so it's young).

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Brown jelly is the normal reason of death. If you have other corals, that disease is highly contagious.
The other event is, starving and shrinking. Not likely to kill other corals.

Edit: if the coral dies to brown jelly, could pollute the tank and cause ammonia to spike.

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was just worried about not being able to find it if it did melt, dead things rot, and since the CUC won't eat it up, I assume this applies to coral too? (It was relatively healthy as far as I could tell, no brown jelly incidents).

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost one for weeks... or was it months... before I found it relocated in a cave

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I was just worried about not being able to find it if it did melt, dead things rot, and since the CUC won't eat it up, I assume this applies to coral too? (It was relatively healthy as far as I could tell, no brown jelly incidents).
Some amphipods will eat dying corals. And hermit crabs.

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Found it. Best practice for getting him reattached to something? Glue (He was glued to a frag when I bought him) apparently does not work.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a field of the metallic green shrooms and they detach and float around all the time. I have a 180 gal and I have no idea where they end up. I see them float/roll around the bottom for awhile. Sometimes I grab them and put in container with rubble. Once they reattach, I put them in a different spot. Most of the time I just let them go where they go. I bought a red shroom and it left it's spot after a month never to bee seen again. I'm sure it's somewhere I can't see it. Wasted $20 ;Meh.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an incoming mushroom takeover.

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gsp refuses to open. Everything else in the tank is happy as can be, it's very annoying, hah

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back