Lost Virtual Temp Probes with firmware update

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have terrible connectivity issues. I have great wifi and no issues with any other device or app but the profilux. I stream movies next to the profilux.

The app connects maybe 50% of the time. I get all kinds of error messages. My kalk slurry doser is programed to have the mag stirrer come on before dosing. I watched it dose last night without the mag stirrer coming on. I was able to connect to the app and manually turn on the mag stirrer according to the app--but none of the mag stirrers came on.... Then after restarting the app a couple times the manual on and off worked again.

The manual on and off feature is pretty useless though because if i turn off a pump, in a few minutes it just randomly comes back on without me manually turning it back on...

I backed up settings and updated firmware to see if that would help. I reloaded the settings. The app still does not connect. Worse, i lost all of my virtual temperature probes and settings. I still have the programable logic associated with the virtual temperature probes and settings, but all of the virtual probes and settings are gone.

A buddy helped me set up the virtual probes. I don't remember how to do it.

I am at my wits end with this device and ready to tear it and out shoot it.

Can some please reach out to me?

EDIT: Last night i also got an "alarm" on my phone that said the leak sensor was wet.... However the profilux display did not indicate any alarm and nothing was wet.

Screenshot_20211123-002502_Message+.jpg

20211123_002511.jpg

20211123_002634.jpg

I would like to trust this device, but i don't know why i would at this point....

Last edited:

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Virtual probes are not part of settings backup.
They can be setup on Profilux LCD display under System->Virtual probes:

8.8 Virtual Probes

Under this menu item, you can manage so-called Virtual probes. What are Virtual probes?

Sensors for detecting different values (for example, temperature, humidity) can be connected to ProfiLux 4 or to corresponding Expansion Cards. To each of these sensors a control loop is assigned whose parameters (nominal value, hysteresis, nocturnal change, etc.) can be set. The control of a sensor switches the related switchable sockets (e.g. pH upwards and pH downwards for the pH-value-control or Heater, Bottom heater and Cooler for the temperature control).

It may be necessary to assign several, differently set control loops to the same sensor. One example would be a temperature control where bottom heater and heater shall be operated considering a nocturnal change, but the cooling shall not be influenced by the nocturnal change (since you don’t like to have an active nocturnal change)

The solution is to create a "copy" (= virtual probe) of the actually existing sensor. This virtual probe and its associated control loop can be used just like a "normal" sensor. The actual measured value of the virtual probe is, of course, always equal to the measured value of the "original sensor". In addition, a virtual sensor cannot be calibrated.

Apart from the simple copy of a sensor, a virtual probe can also be generated from 2 original sensors. An average value from the current values of the two original sensors is then calculated.
This has two advantages: Firstly, it can be useful for a large amount of water (for example, a pond) to be measured at two different locations and form an average value; on the other hand, both original sensors can be monitored for too great a deviation. A too large deviation could indicate a fault, and the display of an alarm is then possible.

Note: Overall 32 sensors (sum of actual and virtual probes). In the Virtual probes menu, you have the following selection options:

8.8.1.1 New Virtual Probe
A new virtual sensor can be created here. First select the type of the virtual sensor:
  • Copy - Now select the original sensor from which a "copy" is to be generated. The current value of the virtual probe always corresponds to the current value of the original sensor.
  • Average - Now select sensor 1 and sensor 2. The current value of the virtual sensor always corresponds to the current mean value from both original sensors. The alarm settings can also be used to specify a comparison alarm (see Sensor settings ->Alarm).

After storage, a virtual sensor (e.g., TEMPERATURE 2) is available. The corresponding settings (nominal value, hysteresis, etc.) are copied from the original sensor.

8.8.1.2 Delete Virtual Probe
A virtual probe can be deleted here.

Note: After creating a virtual probe, the sensors of the corresponding type are renumbered.
In the ProfiLux 4 menus, you can distinguish virtual sensors from actually existing sensors by fully writing the name of virtual sensors (e.g., PH-VALUE 1).

Gaël

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Virtual probes are not part of settings backup.
They can be setup on Profilux LCD display under System->Virtual probes:

8.8 Virtual Probes

Under this menu item, you can manage so-called Virtual probes. What are Virtual probes?

Sensors for detecting different values (for example, temperature, humidity) can be connected to ProfiLux 4 or to corresponding Expansion Cards. To each of these sensors a control loop is assigned whose parameters (nominal value, hysteresis, nocturnal change, etc.) can be set. The control of a sensor switches the related switchable sockets (e.g. pH upwards and pH downwards for the pH-value-control or Heater, Bottom heater and Cooler for the temperature control).

It may be necessary to assign several, differently set control loops to the same sensor. One example would be a temperature control where bottom heater and heater shall be operated considering a nocturnal change, but the cooling shall not be influenced by the nocturnal change (since you don’t like to have an active nocturnal change)

The solution is to create a "copy" (= virtual probe) of the actually existing sensor. This virtual probe and its associated control loop can be used just like a "normal" sensor. The actual measured value of the virtual probe is, of course, always equal to the measured value of the "original sensor". In addition, a virtual sensor cannot be calibrated.

Apart from the simple copy of a sensor, a virtual probe can also be generated from 2 original sensors. An average value from the current values of the two original sensors is then calculated.
This has two advantages: Firstly, it can be useful for a large amount of water (for example, a pond) to be measured at two different locations and form an average value; on the other hand, both original sensors can be monitored for too great a deviation. A too large deviation could indicate a fault, and the display of an alarm is then possible.

Note: Overall 32 sensors (sum of actual and virtual probes). In the Virtual probes menu, you have the following selection options:

8.8.1.1 New Virtual Probe
A new virtual sensor can be created here. First select the type of the virtual sensor:
  • Copy - Now select the original sensor from which a "copy" is to be generated. The current value of the virtual probe always corresponds to the current value of the original sensor.
  • Average - Now select sensor 1 and sensor 2. The current value of the virtual sensor always corresponds to the current mean value from both original sensors. The alarm settings can also be used to specify a comparison alarm (see Sensor settings ->Alarm).

After storage, a virtual sensor (e.g., TEMPERATURE 2) is available. The corresponding settings (nominal value, hysteresis, etc.) are copied from the original sensor.

8.8.1.2 Delete Virtual Probe
A virtual probe can be deleted here.

Note: After creating a virtual probe, the sensors of the corresponding type are renumbered.
In the ProfiLux 4 menus, you can distinguish virtual sensors from actually existing sensors by fully writing the name of virtual sensors (e.g., PH-VALUE 1).

Gaël
Are you saying that every time i do a firmware update i have to re-program virtual probes?

Nothing in any instructions or videos mentioned this when doing an update.

I had three virtual temperature probes because that allowed me to have emergency shut offs of the chiller and heater without using the profilux to control either outside of emergency (temperature variance).'

EDIT: i appreciate the response.. thank you... I guess i have to set this back up... thanks for the instructions. I have no idea what my previous virutal probe settings were though.. urg....

I hate this device.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying that every time i do a firmware update i have to re-program virtual probes?
Nothing in any instructions or videos mentioned this when doing an update.
I hate this device.
Not all firmwares update do factory reset.

I too would like the virtual probes to be integrated into the configuration and saved and the parameters to be accessible via GHLConnect and the graphics available on the Dashboard (very important if using virtual probes with average mode)
Maybe one day :)

Gaël

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like there's something in the router settings that need to be changed. If you can connect to through the P4's hotspot and navigate the pages without issue, then that suggests the problem is network settings related or coming from another device on the network. You can also change the P4's Wi-Fi chip setting so it communicates on a b/g/n signal.
1637697103665.png

Instructions on creating Virtual Sensors is in the Knowledge Base:

If you still have trouble with connectivity, even with a hotspot connection. Open a support ticket so we can help.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all firmwares update do factory reset.

I too would like the virtual probes to be integrated into the configuration and saved and the parameters to be accessible via GHLConnect and the graphics available on the Dashboard (very important if using virtual probes with average mode)
Maybe one day :)

Gaël
If they just told me to write down my settings in their instructions that would have been less misleading; the instructions say "ALL" settings will be restored and that updating is "quick and easy."

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like there's something in the router settings that need to be changed. If you can connect to through the P4's hotspot and navigate the pages without issue, then that suggests the problem is network settings related or coming from another device on the network.

Instructions on creating Virtual Sensors is in the Knowledge Base:

If you still have trouble with connectivity, even with a hotspot connection. Open a support ticket so we can help.
It does not matter how i try to connect. It is always about 50% of the time it may work. the only reliable connection is USB.

What about the manual on and off issue?

What about the leak alarm text on my phone but no alarm on the profilux display?

What about the magnetic stirrer not coming on when dosing and is set to do so?

Can you please change your firmware update instructions and tell people that virtual probes may not be saved when backing up and when updating firmware? If i had known that, i would have written the settings down. Now i don't remember what they were.... e.g., temp settings, etc. And the only way to make sure things work is to test the equipment by putting the probes in hot and cold water and making sure the programing works; The chiller, the heater, and the GHL all have different temperature values.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not matter how i try to connect. It is always about 50% of the time it may work. the only reliable connection is USB.
Open support ticket.

What about the manual on and off issue?
Seems like the option is being used incorrectly. If you leave the page or device screen turns OFF, it will trigger the safety and revert the switches back to their normal programming so one does not forget to leave it on manual mode. If you want to temporarily turn OFF certain outlets, that's what maintenance modes are for. Alternatively, you can set the functions to "Always OFF" until you're done with your task.

What about the leak alarm text on my phone but no alarm on the profilux display?
Not enough info. Open ticket for it.

What about the magnetic stirrer not coming on when dosing and is set to do so?
Not enough info. Open ticket for it.

Can you please change your firmware update instructions and tell people that virtual probes may not be saved when backing up and when updating firmware? If i had known that, i would have written the settings down. Now i don't remember what they were.... e.g., temp settings, etc. And the only way to make sure things work is to test the equipment by putting the probes in hot and cold water and making sure the programing works; The chiller, the heater, and the GHL all have different temperature values.
Here you go...
1637697752222.png

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe add a statement like this to your firmware instruction video... that is what i watched.

1637698014329.png

Why not just have the software save the settings and reprogram the device. To do anything on this device, i feel like have to (1) watch the video, (2) takes notes, (3) i guess also now read all printed instructions and check all foot notes, and (4) usually phone a friend or ask someone on reef2reef about what is not stated in instructions or in video... It's like the tax code---overly complicated.

Please don't take this the wrong way, i appreciate you responding quickly.... But just an ask---instead of developing new hardware and gizmos--if your company could devote its resources to making this software friendly to use--GHL would rule the aquarium controller world.

opening a ticket... Thank you..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1637698645951.png

I am not leaving the screen. Literally the screen indicated the device was on. But in fact, while looking at the screen and the magnetic stirrer, the magnetic stirrer did not come on. The reason i tried the manual mode in the first place was because the kalk slurry dosed in front of my eyes without first stirring. It is set to stir before and after the dose.

As a side note, can i set the manual mode to stay on or off (what i put it as) and disable the "safety" mode? A manual mode to me is--manual-- just like a physical switch. I don't want a safety mode. I just want a switch that is quick to access and that i know will stay the way i put it until i put back another way. I had pump come on when doing work, don't really want to program maintenance modes for quick things that change depending on what i am doing; i just want an on/off switch.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe add a statement like this to your firmware instruction video... that is what i watched.

1637698014329.png

Why not just have the software save the settings and reprogram the device. To do anything on this device, i feel like have to (1) watch the video, (2) takes notes, (3) i guess also now read all printed instructions and check all foot notes, and (4) usually phone a friend or ask someone on reef2reef about what is not stated in instructions or in video... It's like the tax code---overly complicated.

Please don't take this the wrong way, i appreciate you responding quickly.... But just an ask---instead of developing new hardware and gizmos--if your company could devote its resources to making this software friendly to use--GHL would rule the aquarium controller world.

opening a ticket... Thank you..
When this happen to me - I just reinstall the virtual probes and they come back with right settings - I do not remember if i needed to restore again or if it just was there after the reinstallation.

The graphs does not update directly - often it can take some hours before the data is send to the cloud.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question, what do people use virtual probes for? Never looked into this
If you want two different nominal values from the same physical sensor. Let us say that I want my heater to kick in at 24.9 degree C and my cooling fans to start at 25.1 degree C. I also use a ORP probe to control flow and addition of organic carbon in my DSB (use it as a denitrification chamber). I this case I need both two different nominal values and also to different way of controlling it. I want to have around - 105 mV in ORP below my DSB and with help of a virtual probe - I manage to keep it around -105 mV ± 15 mV.

Basically you use them when you want 1 probe to manage (control) more than one thing at the same time

Sincerely Lasse

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With average mode you can have two same sensors and having a virtual sensor which is the average of the two sensors.
You will also get an alarme if too big difference between the two sensor.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One temp probe alarmed if temp reached to high or too low. One temp probe shut off the heater if stuck on and tank got too hot (different temp than alarm probe). One temp probe shut off the chiller if too cold. The last one shut off the chiller if it got stuck on, wasn't cooling, and heated the tank.

Annoyingly i had to see all four temp probes on scroll on my display.

I think that was how mine was set up..
Of course, i updated my firmware, and lost all the programming--so not entiteky sure...

Hopefully Lasse--who was kind enough to help with some of the programming (thank you!)--is right and i might get it back.

Im still not talking to my ghl...

I'll put a ticket in when i dont feel like cursing at anyone anymore and when i have the patience and the time to work on this 1980's programming technology. For now, ive just disabled the ridiculous piece of hardware.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back