Low alkalinity salt mix for High alkalinity tank?

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've been using reef crystals for my 20 gallon tank at 9 dkh. But I hate mixing the salt water and waiting a week for its alkalinity to drop and match my tank's. So I've decided to give Tropic Marin pro reef salt a try as I've heard a lot of good things about them. My question is, since TM mixes at around 7-8, can I dose Red Sea's alkalinity solution to get it up to 9 before I do my waterchange?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't answer your question directly, but in case you weren't aware, you can also dose acid into your mixing container to achieve the alkalinity you desire.

If you've already considered that option, disregard :)

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't answer your question directly, but in case you weren't aware, you can also dose acid into your mixing container to achieve the alkalinity you desire.

Thanks, I've considered it before but I don't currently have any acid to dose into the new mix.

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What types of acids have you used?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've been using reef crystals for my 20 gallon tank at 9 dkh. But I hate mixing the salt water and waiting a week for its alkalinity to drop and match my tank's. So I've decided to give Tropic Marin pro reef salt a try as I've heard a lot of good things about them. My question is, since TM mixes at around 7-8, can I dose Red Sea's alkalinity solution to get it up to 9 before I do my waterchange?

The alkalinity should not drop on its own after you mix new saltwater. I would be concerned if alkalinity dropped by 2 - 3 dKh over the course of a week in storage.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic acid will lower the alkalinity. I haven't done it before but I see a lot of people do, just do a search on how to use it. As far as bumping up alkalinity any two part will work. Be sure to check the mag and calcium levels as well as they may need to be supplemented too, depending on where you keep them.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually use muriatic acid as it's cheap and the amount is measured in mLs. I'll have to look at my water station, but it's something like ~1mL per 10/gallons to lower by 1dkh. If you're interested, I can get you the exact calculations- that's just a ballpark for rough volumes.

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alkalinity should not drop on its own after you mix new saltwater. I would be concerned if alkalinity dropped by 2 - 3 dKh over the course of a week in storage.
Yes, when saltwater is stored still, alkalinity doesn't drop. I use heat and circulation to decrease alkalinity.

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually use muriatic acid as it's cheap and the amount is measured in mLs. I'll have to look at my water station, but it's something like ~1mL per 10/gallons to lower by 1dkh. If you're interested, I can get you the exact calculations- that's just a ballpark for rough volumes.
That would be wonderful thank you! I found some commericial muriatic acid products on home depot. What brand and percentage are you using?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the home depot brand (I believe HDX)- I use the regular strength (31.5% or the bottle will say 31.45%, I believe), although they sell a product labeled as "low fumes". This is a weaker strength, something like 15%- I don't use this, but it's an option, but make sure you understand the below calculations are for the 31.5% (normal strength) muriatic acid.

I use the formula (insert into google):

(((A)*3.785)/(11000/((B-C)/2.8)))*1000

Where A = gallons of water, B= desired alkalinity (dkh) and C=starting alkalinity (dkh).

Similarly, you can use the formula

Dkh difference between starting-desired * water volume in gallons * 0.123

Both will give you the mL of muriatic acid to dose.

You can test each by dropping 10 gallons of a theoretical salt (10dkh) to 9dkh and both should give you the answer of ~1.2mL.

OP
OP
0utworld

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the home depot brand (I believe HDX)- I use the regular strength (31.5% or the bottle will say 31.45%, I believe), although they sell a product labeled as "low fumes". This is a weaker strength, something like 15%- I don't use this, but it's an option, but make sure you understand the below calculations are for the 31.5% (normal strength) muriatic acid.

I use the formula (insert into google):

(((A)*3.785)/(11000/((B-C)/2.8)))*1000

Where A = gallons of water, B= desired alkalinity (dkh) and C=starting alkalinity (dkh).

Similarly, you can use the formula

Dkh difference between starting-desired * water volume in gallons * 0.123

Both will give you the mL of muriatic acid to dose.

You can test each by dropping 10 gallons of a theoretical salt (10dkh) to 9dkh and both should give you the answer of ~1.2mL.
Really appreciate it!

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not change parameters of water change water , why , for what? Just choose a salt mix that suits your needs. Done . No dangerous acids, AND death crystals mixes to about a DKH of 13 , and Death Crystals has a rediculus high magnesium to . So spend your time and money to change , water change water. Only to have other parameters not acceptable.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to raise the dKh in your salt mix, then baking soda is perfectly safe, cheap and effective. Muriatic acid is safe to use too - just handle it with care and remember that you must aerate the mix until the pH is back up to where it needs to be.

There is not a single salt mix out there that mixes to what I want to use. It is just too simple to make it my own, so I do. If somebody is not willing to take some time to do it right, or cannot figure out how to handle a chemical right, then this hobby might not be for them.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to raise the dKh in your salt mix, then baking soda is perfectly safe, cheap and effective. Muriatic acid is safe to use too - just handle it with care and remember that you must aerate the mix until the pH is back up to where it needs to be.

There is not a single salt mix out there that mixes to what I want to use. It is just too simple to make it my own, so I do. If somebody is not willing to take some time to do it right, or cannot figure out how to handle a chemical right, then this hobby might not be for them.
I agree! I have been researching all day different salts and after about 8 hours I found a chart of a lot of them. Fluval sea was close and Tropic marine pro reef was another.

I cant believe the crazy high calciums and crazy high or low magnesium and most have high alk!

Fritz claims to be just what I want but I am getting cray high alk from what is is supposed to be! I am going too order another batch and hopefully this one will be right!

I defiently spend enough time with my tank that I dont want to dose my salt though as you dont seem to mind!

I dont get why someone cant seem to make a good salt mix!

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not change parameters of water change water , why , for what? Just choose a salt mix that suits your needs. Done . No dangerous acids, AND death crystals mixes to about a DKH of 13 , and Death Crystals has a rediculus high magnesium to . So spend your time and money to change , water change water. Only to have other parameters not acceptable.
Sheesh that was me a while back ! I still avoid reef crystals but lately settled on instant ocean . I like Red Sea blue bucket the best .

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree! I have been researching all day different salts and after about 8 hours I found a chart of a lot of them. Fluval sea was close and Tropic marine pro reef was another.

I cant believe the crazy high calciums and crazy high or low magnesium and most have high alk!

Fritz claims to be just what I want but I am getting cray high alk from what is is supposed to be! I am going too order another batch and hopefully this one will be right!

I defiently spend enough time with my tank that I dont want to dose my salt though as you dont seem to mind!

I dont get why someone cant seem to make a good salt mix!

There are loads of good salt mixes. Just depends what you want and what you want to spend

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back