Low Ph - How concerned should I be?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I manually calibrated the Ph Probe in 7 and 10 solution. After Calibration I dipped the probe into 7 solution and it read 7 on the dot, same thing with the 10 solution. Put the probe back into my tank and it's now reading 7.71.

So now I just have to decide if I want to trust the Neptune Apex reading or the Salifert Test kit. What do you'll think?
I use API for ph, seems fairly good.
Guess I'm shopping for a CO2 Scrubber Today.
it’ll only scrub the co2 down so much so unless the room the tank is in has excessive co2, don’t expect a big drop.
If an airline to outside is possible, feeding that to a skimmer will probably be more beneficial and much cheaper

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on above. I would try to start with outside air, maybe it is enough. Keep the co2 media for the winter. I have the same problem, I will try with a small venturi pump that shoots air bubbles in a pvc pipe, maybe it works without using a skimmer. So far with airstone only I am quite satisfied, it makes a foam similarly to a skimmer and does not make salt creep if you use a cylindrical container placed in the water (you can use a plastic bottle cut in half)

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed a CO2 Scrubber last night and up to 7.8 in less than 24hours. I have the tubing coming directly from the air intake on my skimmer to the "In" connection on the scrubber. Not sure what to expect or how high the PH will increase. I'm hoping for 8.0 to 8.3 cause that would make changing out this media worth it. Any thoughts?

Also thanks for everyone's help on this. You'll are tremendous!

Photos attached.

SmartSelect_20220619-101013_APEX Fusion.jpg 20220619_101554.jpg

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: PH 7.86

Safe to say this is the highest PH my tank has ever achieved.
Just wait till you see how much this co2 media Will start to cost you to keep it up there………. This is why after couple hundred in media I decided to install erv system in the house

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait till you see how much this co2 media Will start to cost you to keep it up there………. This is why after couple hundred in media I decided to install erv system in the house
I'm renting right now but in 15 months I'm getting a house and a new tank for my tang Gang cause they growing.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not directly related but because it looks like I'll need the CO2 Scrubber which will take up space under my tank. I've decided to go with the RedSea dosing pumps cause everything I need to dose plus the six pump heads will fit under my Redsea Reefer 250. I'm going to be dosing Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, Trace Colors and Nopox. I'll get the 4 head dosing pump and the 2 head dosing pump. Going with this instead of the Neptune Dose.

Measured it all Today.

20220619_160458.jpg 20220619_160503.jpg

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The highest I've gotten so far is 7.89.

Maybe this isn't the solution that I thought it was.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make next move will be to get 4 to 5 snake plants for the room my Aquarium is in. Will update once I do that.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would search the forum for that. It’s reported that you would need to attach a ginormous green house to your house to make any difference.
I'll look for that. I just read a study that 4 or 5 Snake plants made a huge impact on the C02 levels in an office.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look for that. I just read a study that 4 or 5 Snake plants made a huge impact on the C02 levels in an office.
I think we’ve all heard and read that as well. Many have tried,,,,and failed. Well at least as being enough to have much affect on their tanks ph. Science is well to sciency for me and I can’t explain the process. If you’re getting them for you, and to make the air smell fresh, great. I just wouldn’t expect them to make an impact based on the smarter people in the rooms (than I) knowledge and advice.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we’ve all heard and read that as well. Many have tried,,,,and failed. Well at least as being enough to have much affect on their tanks ph. Science is well to sciency for me and I can’t explain the process. If you’re getting them for you, and to make the air smell fresh, great. I just wouldn’t expect them to make an impact based on the smarter people in the rooms (than I) knowledge and advice.
Yeah I was going to buy some house plants anyways; this just made the decision on what type to get easy lol.

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The highest I've gotten so far is 7.89.

Maybe this isn't the solution that I thought it was.
I am new to saltwater but this sounds quite strange to me. If your kH is in the right range with a CO2 scrubber mounted properly you should reach decent pH levels. 7.9 seems too low for a tank with a CO2 scrubber. Is your CO2 scrubbing media the one that changes color once saturated?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I would follow the suggestion from @Reef.
If you check whether it's a CO2 problem you will know what you are dealing with. Just test if the indoor air has high CO2 or not. Having said this.. if you check this calculator https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EquilibriumPh.php
for your alk level, you should have 2000ppm CO2 in your indoor environment in order to have a pH of 7.8. I think there is something wrong here. I had a similar problem this winter, with very low pH despite a very high Alk.
My theory is that:
1) Probe is not working/calibrated correctly
2) You do not have enough gas exchange in your tank for some reason. Seems strange because you have a skimmer
3) Something is making your water more acidic. I am not a genius in chemestry but I think it would take a very strong acid for giving you these numbers

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater but this sounds quite strange to me. If your kH is in the right range with a CO2 scrubber mounted properly you should reach decent pH levels. 7.9 seems too low for a tank with a CO2 scrubber. Is your CO2 scrubbing media the one that changes color once saturated?
Yes it changes colors. You also have to take into consideration that I started around 7.4 so going up to 7.89 is a big jump (right?). Just not the jump I need. Not sure if running the AC affects PH, but mine is on all the time.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I would follow the suggestion from @Reef.
If you check whether it's a CO2 problem you will know what you are dealing with. Just test if the indoor air has high CO2 or not. Having said this.. if you check this calculator https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EquilibriumPh.php
for your alk level, you should have 2000ppm CO2 in your indoor environment in order to have a pH of 7.8. I think there is something wrong here. I had a similar problem this winter, with very low pH despite a very high Alk.
My theory is that:
1) Probe is not working/calibrated correctly
2) You do not have enough gas exchange in your tank for some reason. Seems strange because you have a skimmer
3) Something is making your water more acidic. I am not a genius in chemestry but I think it would take a very strong acid for giving you these numbers
You look earlier in the thread and I tested my indoor environment by opening the windows during the day times for two days. My PH level did increase, but it's 100+ degrees outside during Florida Summers so that's not an option. This is why I went and got the C02 Scrubber.

Also confirmed that the Probe is calibrated correctly. Earlier in this thread I got some great advice on how to calibrate the probe and its spot on with the calibration fluid now. Also bought some other PH Test kits just to confirm.

I've only been running the CO2 Scrubber for three days but I'm not sure this is something that improves with time. The PH numbers jump significantly with in the first few hours of running and have remained pretty constant since.

I know plants will probably have no affect but I was going to get some anyway. I'll be buying 5 Snake plants from home Depot Today.

I did see somewhere that when you top off none buffered RODI water to your aquarium that you are increasing the acidification of the tank. I tested my RODI yesterday after that and it's at a solid Zero TDS, hence my next comment.

I also ordered some Seachem Reef Buffer PH 8.3 last night from Amazon. Not sure if I'm going to use it but I want to have it on hand in case I'd do.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back