LPS bacterial infection?

c_johns89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've noticed that my hammers have seemed to be receding with some heads bailing out due to what looks like a bacterial infection. I don't think it's brown jelly, because it's been happening relatively slowly over a timescale of weeks. I've noticed on some of the heads I've lost that a white biofilm appears at the intersection of the skeleton and the coral tissue. This leads to increased tissue loss and skeleton exposure over time.

What would be the best approach to treat the symptomatic corals? Should I take them out and dip them in iodine? Would that stress them further? I've dipped some of them in the past but it seems like it's come back afterwards.

Has anyone had any success with dosing beneficial bacteria (e.g., Dr Tim's Eco-balance)?

Cheers

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A re-dip could help, yes. I've had some success treating BJD and other bacterial infections in my hammers using Reef Primer, but that's not a guaranteed fix (hit and miss at best).

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back