LPS Care Overview (spreadsheet)

oldcrusty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of misspelled genera on the list, so I'd suggest going through and working on those (less i's and more y's). Also, for consistency and clarity you should have the genus and common name of each coral listed. You're missing quite a few common and popular genera, Platygyra, Heliofungia, Tubastrea, Tubinaria, Echinophyllia just to name some off the top of my head... I'd do some more research on the placement portion, many listed as "sand" often occur on the reef structure in nature and will do quite well there in our aquariums.

Lastly, you've got some things in there that aren't "LPS", "Zoas/Palys" are stoloniferans and toadstool is an octocoral or "soft coral".

Good for you for taking this on, keep at it!
Believe he stated this flow chart was from his own experience and suggest he may have no experience with the varieties you mentioned.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe he stated this flow chart was from his own experience and suggest he may have no experience with the varieties you mentioned.

Actually the chart is purely form research not experience lol. I am just starting out in reef keeping avtually after 2 years in fresh. I originally put this sheet together for personal use but decided to post it as I want others to benefit from it and to help it grow.

oldcrusty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad getting dyslexic in my old age was his research and not experience. Research can be misleading considering the source and age of the report. Find a lot of information typically left out from online fish retailers in order to sale various animals that might be overlooked otherwise. You can spend hours just getting all the facts on just an orange chestnut snail. Every little bit of info helps and then the need to try it for the experience is the final chapter!
Thanks for the time and effort from everyone!

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad getting dyslexic in my old age was his research and not experience. Research can be misleading considering the source and age of the report. Find a lot of information typically left out from online fish retailers in order to sale various animals that might be overlooked otherwise. You can spend hours just getting all the facts on just an orange chestnut snail. Every little bit of info helps and then the need to try it for the experience is the final chapter!
Thanks for the time and effort from everyone!

I know and there is a lot of conflicting info, thats part of why I went public with this sheet as I want the community to help with making it better than my research alone can.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is an evolving informational list!

It would be good for other members to point out mistakes or additions and then we could update!

Thanks for putting it together!

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice job on the spreadsheet. I look forward to seeing some updates from time to time. I think what might be helpful is if there were a spreadsheet for different coral types, i.e. soft corals/LPS/SPS so as to break them apart and not have soft corals such as mushrooms and zoas in with an LPS spreadsheet. Just food for thought.

Btw, Toadstool leathers do well with any type of light. I have kept them with PC bulbs back in the day and have even kept them under MH.

Cheers,
Alex

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look out for an update on Monday by the end of the day! Taking into account everyone's suggestions and revising the sheet as well as adding a few new corals!

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all, as promised here is the 1st update to this spread sheet. Please continue to give feedback, I did my best to correct errors and take into account everyone feedback. The scientific names may be a bit shaky as some had conflicting info when I looked them up so holler at me if one is wrong! @revhtree feel free to place the watermark on this if you would like.

ssh.PNG

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next update will feature a coulomb for the difficulty of the coral, as well as one detailing if the coral has sweeper tentacles and how long they are (this should help assist with placement).

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job and updated!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back