LPS coral question?

jcJokr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for anyone who can help me.

I have lost two elegance corals now, one about 4 months ago and the other just this week. Both of them were only in the tank for about 3-4 weeks before they started to go downhill. They both did great for a while opening up nicely and looking good, but then they just went downhill over night. I also have two Duncan’s that are going downhill now. One has been it the tank for months now. My two torch corals look great, as well as my frog spawn and other various LPS corals I have. I guess I’m not sure why I would have such a hard time with the elegance coral and why the Duncan’s seem to have this problem all of a sudden. I don't test for calcium or phosphates. But I do test Nitrites, Nitrates, PH, and Ammonia, and everything looks normal. The only thing is my Nitrates always stay a little high. Does anyone know what it could be? Maybe something is picking at them until they die, or some parameter I’m not testing for could be high? I just don't know, please help it's very frustrating.

rendos

WTMRAC's Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance corals have very poor survival rates in captivity. With the exception of some that are being imported from Australia, most others fade away quickly in the aquarium. Duncans are very easy to keep.

When you say that nitrites, nitrates, etc. are normal...can you be more specific? What are the numbers? Nitrates a little high...20ppm, 50ppm, 200ppm?

rendos

WTMRAC's Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any dwarf angels in the tank that might be picking at them?
Flame, Coral Beauty, BiColor, etc.?

Water quality is good except the nitrates, but I don't think 40 is enough to kill anything.

OP
OP
J

jcJokr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have one dwarf angel and one Flame. But I have never seen them pick at them, I try to kee them well fed. Though that doesn't mean they don't.

OP
OP
J

jcJokr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have anything else? I stoped by my LFS tonight to pick a test kit to test all the other paramaters and everything looks to be on point. My LFS made a good point though, we have these tanks with a pile of things from all over the world and who knows what can be with what for sure. I mean it's true, how do we know if a leather from one side of the world would not release something that could harm a softy from another side of the world. Well just a thought.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very suspect of your angels nipping at the lps. Can you tell us more about your tank? i.e. size, lighting, filtration, etc.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an aquarium with corals alkalinity and calcium are very impoirtant parameters, but I haven't seen you mention either. Also, testing for nitrites after a tank has cycled borders on useless. Do you know what those two levels are? Your biggest problem is that you bought a coral without doing some research on it, and then did it again. Rendos is correct, elegance corals in the last decade or so have done very poorly in captivity and really should just be avoided, especially if you're a less experienced aquarist.

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the phosphate and alkalinity. Either one can kill stony corals easily if out of the normal range.

Steven Pro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely test calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. Your pH is a little low, so I could easily believe that the others are as well.

CTMarinelife

CTmarinelife
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you running for lighting, I have had a purple tip aussie elegance (12+") in my tank for almost two years - it loves lots of light and regular feedings. Flow is important also, must be moving constantly but moderately.

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on testing Ca Alk and Mg. everytime I have an LPS looking "unhappy" its 9/10 imbalance of these three parameters.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Kh is usually the problem (too low), then too low mag, then too low Ca, IME. low Ca has been a little more forgiving for me.

OP
OP
J

jcJokr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested those perams yesterday, they all look good. I also did my research on the elegance coral, and this was an aussie elegance. I went with the aussie because I new they had a better survival rate. I think I'm just not getting a good one. Maybe someday I will try again. Thanks everyone for your post.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back