LPS parameters compared to sps?

HeadStrongGrafx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is my situation.... I have 1 nano tank, 1 100gal, and 1 20gal frag tank.
The nano has just LPS, long tent anemone and a few fish and inverts. Tank THRIVES!!!
The frag tank, well has a lil of everything and THRIVES!!
my 100 gal is a mixed reef. I can't seem to get my LPS's in this tank to open up and thrive?
The only difference from my 100 gal and the 2 other tanks is the equipment.
the frag and nano have no skimmer, cal reactor, biopellets and refugio in sump.

the nano has a Ecotech Radion XR15 pro Gen 3, the frag has a nano reef breeders , and the 100 gal has 2 XR30 Pro gen 3's and a Xr15 Pro Gen 3.
I have some really pricey corals in the 100 gal in both sps and lps. Im thinking of moving my SPS into another tank setup and let the LPS in this tank take over yet I can't figure out why they don't thrive in this tank like they do in the other 2 I have? Could it be the skimmer, cal reactor, biopellets??

Cal reactor is set to keep calc, mag,alk stable and my test readings on all 3 tanks are the same. so that can't be it? Could it be the biopellets? Or skimmer??

I change my water every week on all 3 tanks (sundays) so I'm kinda at a loss on why my 100 gal LPS aren't doing as goos as the other 2 tanks?

Any suggestions??? should I stop the pellets??

Last edited:

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you compared water params between the 3 tanks? LPS like it a little dirtier.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say biopellets worked quite well, though when I turned them up, polyp extraction was one of the first negatives I noticed.
I want to say, iirc, there's a byproduct with most that results in excess "sugar" that competes with corals internal glucose/sugar? Been a long time since I read up on that stuff so please excuse my lack of detail.
I ended up pulling the pellets and found appreciation for nopox. Aquaforest is the other I'm tempted to try or mix with my current setup as someone said it doesn't have a smell, so I more curious about what's in it than anything else. People seem to be having very good results though.

As with any situation lps like elevated inorganics from what I've seen, quite a different setup than sps, so finding that happy medium is what it requires..

OP
OP
HeadStrongGrafx

HeadStrongGrafx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say biopellets worked quite well, though when I turned them up, polyp extraction was one of the first negatives I noticed.
I want to say, iirc, there's a byproduct with most that results in excess "sugar" that competes with corals internal glucose/sugar? Been a long time since I read up on that stuff so please excuse my lack of detail.
I ended up pulling the pellets and found appreciation for nopox. Aquaforest is the other I'm tempted to try or mix with my current setup as someone said it doesn't have a smell, so I more curious about what's in it than anything else. People seem to be having very good results though.

As with any situation lps like elevated inorganics from what I've seen, quite a different setup than sps, so finding that happy medium is what it requires..

ahhh so your saying the bio pellets could be the culprit? did you take the whole reactor out or just remove some pellets slowly until they were all gone?

Jack.lin92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends
My SPS reefs are very floriferous and juicy but LPS are weak and sedentary my lighting is 8 bubble ATI T5 , What is the reason?
Water parameters:
Ph = 8.4
No2-NH3 = 0
No3 = 0-1
Ca = 430
Kh = 8
K = 410
Mg = 1340-1350
Thank you

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because you have 0-1 nitrate. They like over 10 nitrate ime, also what’s your phosphate. That’s a lot of light to. To much for lps with no nutrients.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
Po4 is almost zero
Is nitrate 5 and phosphate 0.05 suitable for my mix tank?
Things will look better at 5. If your still having issues try 10. If any lps is extending feeder tentacles take advantage and target feed some mysis.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and spot feed the lps with polyp booster followed by reef roids, and see if you LPS improve in overall health. I’m currently running my tank skimmerless, and everything from lps to softy’s is exploding in color and growth. Even some of sps seem to like the extra nutrients.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 7.7%

Back