LTA?

SusRenee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks! My good friend has these anemones in her tank. They were sold to her as LTA, but I've never seen coloration like this before. My pictures don't do them justice, they're more like a rainbow BTA. Has anyone seen one like this before? She has a lighting maroon hosting in it.

20200224_164207.jpg

OP
OP
SusRenee

SusRenee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the question then is why aren't they "bubbling"? My guess is her light, it's pretty weak. The basic coralife led from Petco, and it's not turned up much.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are definitely not LTA's, I keep them and they have very different habits. Those are for sure BTA's.
Regarding the lack of bubbles, no one knows why some do and some don't. My personal guess is that they look like this in sub-par conditions, but there are many people who keep them in big ol' reef tanks, and they still don't bubble. That light is definitely not strong enough though! She needs to at least max it out, At most get an AI prime or the like.
If I were her, I would definitely go back to the LFS and ask them about the mislabeling, that could be a bit hazardous.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cute clown and definitely bubbletips :)

Easy clues for LTA identification:

-LTAs have less tentacles in the centre of the oral disk than Bubbletips. Those in the middle are bigger, giving rise to LTAs' latin name Big Fingers (macrodactyla).

-LTAs have spots on the outside, and most often a red or orange foot.

-LTAs bury their foot into sand.

The bubbles are fragile, nems cannot keep any shape unless the water current allows it. Tbh I think the flow here is too hard and direct to allow bubbles. Perhaps if the nems could get deeper in between rocks so they have some protection against the current. Like using a flattening iron on curly hair, the flow is flattening :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back