Lurker Finally Joined

Kj2186

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this thread
Skimmer... good question. That's one of the problems. I'm currently without one and looking for a replacement. Where's the best place to post my skimmer questions?

Skimmer... good question. That's one of the problems. I'm currently without one and looking for a replacement. Where's the best place to post my skimmer questions?

OP
OP
ORReefer

ORReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is in pretty poor condition right now. I'd be embarrassed to show any pics right now. Lost the skimmer (red sea prizm, pump died and no replacements available) and no money to replace it so tank went down hill. Amazingly, for the last several years, we've managed to get things somewhat settled without the skimmer but there is still some unwanted algae and cyano, thus looking for a new skimmer. Don't have the money for a sump right now (hope to do one in the not too distant future) so looking for good HOB skimmer (prizm was okay but not great... reef octo HOB 90?). Have looked for used skimmers but not much luck.

Some say having some of the more tolerant corals in your tank can help take more nutrients and etc. out of the water thus limiting what's available for algae. So, we started adding some basic corals back in... a small tree coral and some mushroom corals. They were doing great and the algae and cyano seemed to be lightening up even more.

However, then we had a several hour power outage. Inverts and fish seemed to survive that okay with the help of a battery/inverter pack and hydor koralia. Also supplemented with some improvised heat (tethered glass jar with regularly refreshed hot water). Generally things seemed to do okay. However, the cold water was followed by a heat wave and then a bad heater which tried to cook the tank. Some time during all this we lost the tree coral to bacterial infection. Some feather dusters had started trying to choke the tree out and irritated its base which I believe made it vulnerable to the infection (I've never seen feather dusters do that before!). We still have some mushrooms but they are still tiny even after several weeks have gone by.

Like I said this tank has struggled!
Sorry if this is too much for the meet and greet forum!!!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0AA8826C-BA79-433A-81F5-4880AA6D0BAB.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank is in pretty poor condition right now. I'd be embarrassed to show any pics right now. Lost the skimmer (red sea prizm, pump died and no replacements available) and no money to replace it so tank went down hill. Amazingly, for the last several years, we've managed to get things somewhat settled without the skimmer but there is still some unwanted algae and cyano, thus looking for a new skimmer. Don't have the money for a sump right now (hope to do one in the not too distant future) so looking for good HOB skimmer (prizm was okay but not great... reef octo HOB 90?). Have looked for used skimmers but not much luck.

Some say having some of the more tolerant corals in your tank can help take more nutrients and etc. out of the water thus limiting what's available for algae. So, we started adding some basic corals back in... a small tree coral and some mushroom corals. They were doing great and the algae and cyano seemed to be lightening up even more.

However, then we had a several hour power outage. Inverts and fish seemed to survive that okay with the help of a battery/inverter pack and hydor koralia. Also supplemented with some improvised heat (tethered glass jar with regularly refreshed hot water). Generally things seemed to do okay. However, the cold water was followed by a heat wave and then a bad heater which tried to cook the tank. Some time during all this we lost the tree coral to bacterial infection. Some feather dusters had started trying to choke the tree out and irritated its base which I believe made it vulnerable to the infection (I've never seen feather dusters do that before!). We still have some mushrooms but they are still tiny even after several weeks have gone by.

Like I said this tank has struggled!
Sorry if this is too much for the meet and greet forum!!!
Never be embarrassed. Seriously. Wanna see my gha? Aiptasia?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lurkers always welcomed !!

1563807456105.png

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back