Macro algae safe fish/inverts

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of threads asking for suggestions on what fish or inverts to get to control unwanted algae, but for those of us (like me) that want to keep attractive (and sometimes rare or expensive) macro algae in their DT, what fish and inverts have you found that are the safest to keep in your DT that won't make your macro algae into lunch? Alternately, what fish and inverts have you had eat macro algae in your display that you suggest avoiding? Are there fish or inverts that people say generally don't eat algae that you've been surprised to find munching your prized blue hypnea or dragon's breath?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of your smaller fish like gobys, royal grammas ect are good choices. Tangs are not.

ups.0fficial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of threads asking for suggestions on what fish or inverts to get to control unwanted algae, but for those of us (like me) that want to keep attractive (and sometimes rare or expensive) macro algae in their DT, what fish and inverts have you found that are the safest to keep in your DT that won't make your macro algae into lunch? Alternately, what fish and inverts have you had eat macro algae in your display that you suggest avoiding? Are there fish or inverts that people say generally don't eat algae that you've been surprised to find munching your prized blue hypnea or dragon's breath?
We’ve had a long spine urchin eat our macro, was really interesting lol

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that's not a tang, to put it simply.

In my display with different types of macro and seagrass I have anthias, a coral beauty, blennies, gobies, butterflies, clowns...

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that's not a tang, to put it simply.

In my display with different types of macro and seagrass I have anthias, a coral beauty, blennies, gobies, butterflies, clowns...
interesting that the blennies left the algae alone. what type?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid tangs, foxfaces, rabbitfish, lawnmower blennies, seahares, etc. Plenty of threads of what DOES eat algae lol

Depending on the size of the DT and what else you want in there (softies, LPS, SPS, NPS, mixed reef) clowns, seahorses, dragonettes, serpent stars, fire shrimp, sexy shrimp, pom pom crabs, porcelain crabs, anthias, hawkfish, grammas, dottybacks, hogfish, coral banded shrimp, arrow crabs, shrimp gobies, pyramid butterflies, any butterfly really, damsels, chromis, pipefish, sea moths, frogfish, lionfish, grouper, snapper, etc should all be very safe for macro algae

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back