OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a few pieces of polypro cut this week To support the tank and Sump, planning to plumb it all up this weekend if possible.

I also widened the stand by 60mm to give a little more room around the sump and even out the space around the tank.

C87B3C48-E9A3-456B-BE0B-C4B7EB898932.jpeg

1F1E1136-0E68-4243-A3AF-418A9F14B47C.jpeg

49910DF2-B082-4B4F-9B13-504FDC566EE8.jpeg

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news all.

As I was preparing to drill the tank in preparation for plumbing, I noticed a cloudy corner. Turns out about an inch of one of the top corners did not adhere correctly when the tank was manufactured. A small amount of pressure is enough to cause the panel to start separating.

As such, this tank won’t be used for the final build, however, I am going to drill it for test purposes. I’ll just be careful not to fill it more than halfway during testing.

On a plus side, I will still be able to move forward with development. It may even mean a slightly wider custom tank gets ordered...

B466F9EE-E248-4D08-BC1A-9F9D6CF3CBE9.png

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news all.

As I was preparing to drill the tank in preparation for plumbing, I noticed a cloudy corner. Turns out about an inch of one of the top corners did not adhere correctly when the tank was manufactured. A small amount of pressure is enough to cause the panel to start separating.

As such, this tank won’t be used for the final build, however, I am going to drill it for test purposes. I’ll just be careful not to fill it more than halfway during testing.

On a plus side, I will still be able to move forward with development. It may even mean a slightly wider custom tank gets ordered...
Oh no, that’s the worst. At least you found out before filling it up and getting several gallons of water on the floor.

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now it's been while, but this project is still alive! Most of my time has been spent on the controller side developing a website to support the hardware (link in sig)...

Also, my wife and I have decided to move out of Cali to the Pacific Northwest, so the tank will likely not get completed until the move happens in January. Stay tuned for more...

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build. So neat! Both in the premise and the end result. I love well thought out execution.

I chuckled when I saw the ferrules on the wires. A number of years ago I decided to tidy up the wiring on my desktop CNC I had at the time. I purchased a bunch of ferrules and crimper and set about tidying up the ends. No sooner had I completed and the ends all pulled off?! After watching a Youtube video I realized I was crimping the plastic and not the metal pin! Doh. :rolleyes:

Dennis

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build. So neat! Both in the premise and the end result. I love well thought out execution.

I chuckled when I saw the ferrules on the wires. A number of years ago I decided to tidy up the wiring on my desktop CNC I had at the time. I purchased a bunch of ferrules and crimper and set about tidying up the ends. No sooner had I completed and the ends all pulled off?! After watching a Youtube video I realized I was crimping the plastic and not the metal pin! Doh. :rolleyes:

Dennis

Haha...I made the same mistakes some years ago! ;)

OP
OP
MaddyP

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!

With our successful move the Pacific Northwest complete I can refocus on this project! This move allowed time to process many of my lingering thoughts concerning this setup. Anywho, on to the upcoming work needed to get back to pre-move setup.

Stand - I've made the decision to order a taller stand (40") through Misumi with blind joints for two reasons: first this would bring the short tank higher in efforts to be more pleasing to the eye, second it allows ~8 more inches of space in the stand. This second point takes us to the sump...

Sump - our movers shattered the 20G sump (not surprising). Baffle kit will be moved over to a new 20G aqueon sump which I picked up over the weekend. Plumbing will look very similar to before, though the overuse of unions will be resolved this time around. As for the extra space, I'm designing a pull-out shelf below the sump to hold a custom acrylic reservoir (saltwater/waste water/ro water), the ~8" of space should equate to a ~12 gallons of volume (4g salt, 4g waste, 4g ro top off).

Controller - still working to develop a full stack website which runs on the raspberry pi. I might adapt the existing work done through Node-Red to get the tank running while developing the full-stack site. Not sure yet, but I'm ready to get water in the tank!

Paneling - My wife thought it might be fun to create a waterfall-style paneling so likely black walnut plank for the narrow sides and top, with a white front panel. Several places in the Portland area have solid wood planking available for this type of thing. And for hardware, @Mirkus found a nifty solution using Button-Fix components: https://button-fix.com/

More to come, all components should arrive within the next two weeks.

Back