Made a mistake need some advice

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I may have made a mistake. Last week I added coral in for the first time (very exciting). I got a little carried away and wanted to feed them after the first day or two. So I mixed up reef roids per the instructions and fed the coral. What common sense should have told me but excitement got the better of me was, the mixture is for a full tank of coral that are soaking up all the nutrients. My baby frags don't need that much but I put the whole thing mixed enough for 100 gallons and fed my tank. Fast forward a few days my tank is looking awefully green, the next day it looks like phyto world.

So I cut the lights on top of the tank and have my refugium and skimmer running 24/7, did a partial water change. Is this the right step, and just wait?

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something needs to eat those nutrients. Your refugium and skimmer should run 24/7. Wait it out. Keep doing your 10% weekly water changes.

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave your lights on for the corals... Add a clean up crew and boost your water changes for a bit... It will balance itself out... Use those reef roids sparingly!!! Found out the hard way myself...

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave your lights on for the corals... Add a clean up crew and boost your water changes for a bit... It will balance itself out... Use those reef roids sparingly!!! Found out the hard way myself...

If I leave my lights on for the coral should I turn them down a bit? I have one emerald crab and 20 snails (3 types) for a 90 gal display and two clown fish currently. I plan on adding more CUC as I gain more fish.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something needs to eat those nutrients. Your refugium and skimmer should run 24/7. Wait it out. Keep doing your 10% weekly water changes.

I typically leave my skimmer on all the time except when feeding my pods some phyto (which I have stopped currently). I usually only run my fuge at night (Is this how I should do it when not dealing with an algae bloom?)

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine... Let it sort itself out... Boost your water changes for a bit... Your clean up crew will take care of the rest...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Test water daily but should dissipate and be consumed. Leave lights on and keep those corals feeding. A filter sock will trap some of the suspended food matter

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically leave my skimmer on all the time except when feeding my pods some phyto (which I have stopped currently). I usually only run my fuge at night (Is this how I should do it when not dealing with an algae bloom?)

how do you only run a fuge at night? it needs constant flow

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you only run a fuge at night? it needs constant flow
I only run the grow light on at night typically, not currently.

Thanks everyone. I wasn't concerned about crashing or anything just wanted to make sure I was taking appropriate steps.

MightyMO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem... keep your fuge light period opposite your main display. Balance ph out better... If your fuge is set up properly, it will help pull out the excess nutrients...

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I may have made a mistake. Last week I added coral in for the first time (very exciting). I got a little carried away and wanted to feed them after the first day or two. So I mixed up reef roids per the instructions and fed the coral. What common sense should have told me but excitement got the better of me was, the mixture is for a full tank of coral that are soaking up all the nutrients. My baby frags don't need that much but I put the whole thing mixed enough for 100 gallons and fed my tank. Fast forward a few days my tank is looking awefully green, the next day it looks like phyto world.

So I cut the lights on top of the tank and have my refugium and skimmer running 24/7, did a partial water change. Is this the right step, and just wait?

Your have completed Level 1, you can now move onto Level 2... ;Woot

Reefing can be just like a Console Game, moving from level to level as we gain experience, or sometimes we can get cheat codes from other players to help us progress quicker. You are doing great, you have learnt what I think is never taught in Reefing, the Hurry Up and Wait game, it is often mentioned after the fact..:D And just like a tank has to go through a cycle, we have different levels that we need to progress through.

Keep the lights off, you did a WC, let the refugium catch up, and move on.

Cheers.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Yesterday when I got home from work it was cleared up for the most part! It had been like 6 days or so and was getting concerned. Learning experiences are a good thing, as long as they aren't too bad.

I appreciate all the insight yesterday!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back