Made the switch to metal halide

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran some marineland reef lights for the last 4 years, they grew lps and softies well, but the color was lacking.

I found a coralife 72in aqualight pro, 3x 150w halides, and 4 x 96w power compacts, for $100 on facebook. I grabbed it, swapped out the bulbs and finally got it over my 180 yesterday.

All the lps love the new light! Visibly more extension on almost all lps.

I went with 4 actinic power compacts, and 3 x 14k for the halides.

I didn't have 3k to drop on radions, or kessil w/t5 so I went this route. I glad I did, $300 well spent.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ran t5s for years. I switched to LED approx 5 years ago.... not the same quality as T5. I have been running T5 again since last year.

Just be watchful of color bleaching if you were using LED. You may need to move your new light source further away or shorten time the the lights are on until the corals get use to the stronger lights

OP
OP
P

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ran t5s for years. I switched to LED approx 5 years ago.... not the same quality as T5. I have been running T5 again since last year.

Just be watchful of color bleaching if you were using LED. You may need to move your new light source further away or shorten time the the lights are on until the corals get use to the stronger lights

I'm starting out with the PC lights on, and have the halides set to be on for 5 hours to start

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back