Maintaining coral qt

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I started a 5 gal qt for coral and inverts. I filled it up with my main tank's water so I know I have No3 and Po4.
My question is: do I need to to water changes? I'm keeping the water at 80.6° and I'm going to keep them in for atleast 45 days. But I would like to keep the tank up permanently for new corals coming in. What's the long term maintenance on a qt tank?
What's the best way to feed the snails right now? There's no real algae buildup yet for them. I've been ripping small peices of nori and placing the snails on them.

20240130_175600.jpg

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add some kind of seared bio media. I seeded my qt with bio balls that had been in my sump for about 30 days. I run marine pure blocks in it to maintain bacteria. I feed sheets of nori and algae wafers if algae is lacking for the inverts. Although I don’t QT inverts I do have some in my coral QT. I just ordered inverts from inverted reef and they made it much easier than tracking them for 76 days in the coral tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back