Majano Anemone or Polyp?

MikeW813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all !
I added a Coraline encrusted clam shell to my tank when I started it at the beginning of the year. Over the past few months, some feather dusters and sponges appeared - along with these colorful guys most recently (see pics). At first though I may have been lucky and got some free polyps of some kind, but now not so sure. They are tiny, bright green and not growing very fast. The entire bunch is around 1/2” in diameter. Can anyone confirm if these are Majano Anemones? Polyp?
Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!!!

B9C99C85-0E0B-4B2C-890B-5CD6141C539A.jpeg 4FE5EA9D-B17B-4AC8-9728-C2D9B49C81D8.jpeg 332FE702-1C8A-4337-8BA3-3448691A4932.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeW813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can sort of see a stony skeleton underneath. Where is this clam shell from?
From the Keys/Bahamas area - you may be seeing some of the encrusted Coraline as well- not sure- the whole thing is covered so you can’t really see the actual shell underneath

OP
OP
M

MikeW813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the Keys/Bahamas area - you may be seeing some of the encrusted Coraline as well- not sure- the whole thing is covered so you can’t really see the actual shell underneath
And I should add - cant 100% say for sure where from - the guy it was ordered from is in the Keys

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is from the keys/Bahamas, then I probably cannot identify it as I am not good with atlantic stony coral identification. My best guess would be some sort of coral from the family agariciidae. Also, if it is from the Bahamas/keys, it wouldn’t be a majano as those are from the indo-pacific.

OP
OP
M

MikeW813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is from the keys/Bahamas, then I probably cannot identify it as I am not good with atlantic stony coral identification. My best guess would be some sort of coral from the family agariciidae. Also, if it is from the Bahamas/keys, it wouldn’t be a majano as those are from the indo-pacific.
Interesting - appreciate it! I’ll keep it around and see what it grows into. Thanks!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back