Majestic angel? Your thoughts.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just picked up a majestic angel a week ago. Stunning fish but I never see it. I have it and a gem tang in a 40 gallon qt tank. They are both shy but the Angel is terrible. Swims under a rock and stays there the whole time I am even close to the tank. If he is probably going to stay this way in my reef I might as well find him a new home now while I am able to catch it. Are they all this bad or might he get better. At this point it’s like what’s the use of having this fish in the tank if you can’t see it to enjoy the fish. He won’t even come out when feed
Thanks
Jeff

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a majestic angel a week ago. Stunning fish but I never see it. I have it and a gem tang in a 40 gallon qt tank. They are both shy but the Angel is terrible. Swims under a rock and stays there the whole time I am even close to the tank. If he is probably going to stay this way in my reef I might as well find him a new home now while I am able to catch it. Are they all this bad or might he get better. At this point it’s like what’s the use of having this fish in the tank if you can’t see it to enjoy the fish. He won’t even come out when feed
Thanks
Jeff
My fish reference states the following:

"Often relatively shy initially, especially in juvenile form. Becomes bolder with age, and may be territorial toward similar fishes, but generally ignores unrelated species."

Looks like if you give it some time to adjust, there's a good chance you may begin to see it more often.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels typically become more bold and have strong personalities once they become comfortable in their environment. Has he eaten since you have him this week? Are they currently being treated with any meds in QT?

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fish is a small adult, full adult coloration. I saw it pick at some food at first but as long as I’m in it’s view it won’t come out even for food. I’d say he has to be getting pretty hungry. I am treating with no meds but they are in hypo while In qt. This fish came direct from the wholesaler so probably hasn’t been out of the ocean very long at all
Thanks
Jeff

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Majestics tend to be one of the shyer fish in my tank, however, I have found the more cover they have the less they use it. They do get bolder with age as long as they are not being constantly harassed, I found fast swimming tangs stressed them out.

amir basis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you make sure that the fish is eating well ] a verity of foods at the fish store before you bought it? for future reference, i strongly recommend not to buy any fish, especially angelfish and butterfly fish the aren't eating well at the store ,that refers not only to the fish's appetite but also to its behaviour and his level of confidence in peoples presence by the tank.

anyhow, from my experience mine was very shy at first so i tried to be as less time as possible by the tank and did regular maintains at night time. i also made sure there's always some food in the tank like nori on a clip so he would be provoked to eat and not being scared from motions outside the tank.
once he got accustomed he was a real pain in the b** and really claimed his title in the tank. i eventually gave him to a local hobbiest who had a bigger tank cause mine was getting small for him (250 gal).

OP
OP
coralbeauties

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did you make sure that the fish is eating well ] a verity of foods at the fish store before you bought it? for future reference, i strongly recommend not to buy any fish, especially angelfish and butterfly fish the aren't eating well at the store ,that refers not only to the fish's appetite but also to its behaviour and his level of confidence in peoples presence by the tank.

anyhow, from my experience mine was very shy at first so i tried to be as less time as possible by the tank and did regular maintains at night time. i also made sure there's always some food in the tank like nori on a clip so he would be provoked to eat and not being scared from motions outside the tank.
once he got accustomed he was a real pain in the b** and really claimed his title in the tank. i eventually gave him to a local hobbiest who had a bigger tank cause mine was getting small for him (250 gal).
that must have been a big fish for a 250 gallon tank to be too small. I purchased mine using my buddies wholesale account. $50 for a 4in beauty. My buddy took the gem tang out last night to put in his qt tank and the Angel did come out to eat while I watched from around the corner. He just needs to learn my presence means food:)
Thanks
Jeff

amir basis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya i had mine for 3 years, and he really did grow beautifully, when i gave him he was about 30-32 c"m i'd say.

Treasure Coast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, shy at first like everyone else stated. Should come out to eat if you stand back about 8 feet. Will get a bit better though. Gold Flake angels are a great choice, always out and about.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Had One in my reef tank and it bothered nothing

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back