Major Disease Outbreak

Csr1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short version:
I'm having some type of major disease outbreak in my reef tank. All of the common solutions are not working and fish are slowly dying. I think this is a complicated multi-part issue in which there isn't one problem, but several compounding problems. I'm hoping someone can help.

Long Version (with all the details):
I have a reef tank that is about 10 months old. I had finally got it to the point where parameters were stable, nutrient levels were low, corals were thriving and I was happy with the reef.

The tank is 135 gallon cube with a total system volume of 210 gallons. It is a mixed Reef with some chromies anthias clownfish tangs and a cleanup crew.

I had minimal fish deaths over the last 10 months. Only about two or three fish which could be for any reason and I wasn't concerned. I have always quarantined every single new fish before placing them into the display tank.

However, it has come to my attention after reading articles about quarantining, that just quarantining fish wasn't enough. I really should have been quarantining every single coral, clean up crew member, or pretty much anything that has a droplet of water on it. For that matter, I also should have been wearing a hazmat suit and making sure that my quarantine tank was in a separate room from my sump or fish tank to avoid aerosolization. I should have bought separate fishnets, supplies, buckets and every other tool and kept them separate from the quarantine tank and the display tank. But obviously there's a limit and introducing a disease to my tank was inevitable.

To the best of my memory I believe the problem started slightly after buying a new cleaner shrimp and a flower anenome from my LFS. Slightly after that I noticed one of my white clownfish had what appeared to be lockjaw. He seemed kind of ragged and his mouth is stuck open. I looked in the forums and the best advice I could find was that he probably got stung by something and he would be fine in a few days. He died within a week or two.

From then other fish have all come down with several symptoms. Some have survived and gotten better and others have died. The symptoms include (and/or): white spots, white cotton-like substance on there skin, lethargy, swimming at the top, resting near the bottom, not eating, perishing.

I have tried multiple things to remedy the situation. I'm not sure if I'm making progress or not. Here's what I've done.

Two fish I removed from the tank and put in a quarantine tank. The quarantine tank was made with tank water from the main tank. I was trying to minimalize the amount of stress on the fish moving him from one tank to another. The goal was to treat the water in the quarantine tank with medicine to rid the tank of disease. However the fish died within hours if not minutes from being transferred to the quarantine tank.

After that other fish would get sick so I realized removing them one at a time to quarantine tank would not work anyway. Catching these fish is also extremely difficult as the fishnet will probably destroy every single coral in my attempt to get these fast little fish. Obviously removing every rock and and coral from the tank just to catch the fish puts the corals at risk as well. So it is quite the catch-22. So I looked into treatment options for the compete reef tank.

In the beginning white spots had not appeared yet it as it was mostly white fluffiness on their skin, lethargy and swimming at the bottom. I took my best guess based on what I read and tried prazipro. I found the instructions and ran a course of that, but the disease remained. And then it got worse and then I saw signs of the white spots as well. Based on this I am thinking that if the fish do have ick, it's a secondary infection due to the stress from something more major and underlying. But again that's just a guess.

So I tried a second type of treatment. Which is what I'm currently doing. It's a two-part treatment. First I'm following instructions and dosing polyplabs Reef medic as instructed. However, I'm already on my 18th day of treatment. The second treatment is mixing seachem Focus, Kanaplex and Metroplex with some Reef Frenzy and feeding it to the fish.

This treatment has had some benefit as some fish have got better, and show no signs of illness. Other fish have never got sick. Some fish have looked sick the entire time but have not died. And of course other fish have died. It should also be noted that two fish jumped out of the tank and committed suicide. One even busted through my buy-your-own and do-it-yourself custom tank covers for my rimless rank.

There are some other weird things happening in my tank and I don't know how they're all related. These problems all started after I began treating the fish and after they had got sick:

*My alkalinity started to rise so I reduced my alkalinity dosing to stabilize it. I'm currently using half as much alkalinity solution in my two-part dosing as I used to.

*My calcium usage remained the same at first but seems to be slowly declining now.

*My nitrates and phosphates have skyrocketed. I was holding them stable with nitrates at around 1 and phosphates at .01 using nopox. However they skyrocketed to about phosphates of .09 and nitrates of 5. I did some quick water changes and have got them to come down a little bit. The nutrients spike correlates timing wise with this weird white stringy stuff that's floating around the tank and getting stuck on corals and rock. It looks like someone's snot-rocketed into my tank and continually does it. I also caught my long spined Black Sea Urchin spewing out white cloudy goo into the water. I don't know if the two white substances are the same. From what I read the urchin is trying to mate.

*Finally as far as corals go, it looks like one small frag I've had for 8 months died very quickly and and NPS Coral(gorgonia) looks a little ragged and one organ pipe coral looks a little ticked off or could be dead. But other than that all the other corals are doing great and still seem to be thriving even with me medicating the tank.

I don't know what to make of all this or what to do. Any help and advise would be great. Thanks for reading all of this.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short version:
I'm having some type of major disease outbreak in my reef tank. All of the common solutions are not working and fish are slowly dying. I think this is a complicated multi-part issue in which there isn't one problem, but several compounding problems. I'm hoping someone can help.

Long Version (with all the details):
I have a reef tank that is about 10 months old. I had finally got it to the point where parameters were stable, nutrient levels were low, corals were thriving and I was happy with the reef.

The tank is 135 gallon cube with a total system volume of 210 gallons. It is a mixed Reef with some chromies anthias clownfish tangs and a cleanup crew.

I had minimal fish deaths over the last 10 months. Only about two or three fish which could be for any reason and I wasn't concerned. I have always quarantined every single new fish before placing them into the display tank.

However, it has come to my attention after reading articles about quarantining, that just quarantining fish wasn't enough. I really should have been quarantining every single coral, clean up crew member, or pretty much anything that has a droplet of water on it. For that matter, I also should have been wearing a hazmat suit and making sure that my quarantine tank was in a separate room from my sump or fish tank to avoid aerosolization. I should have bought separate fishnets, supplies, buckets and every other tool and kept them separate from the quarantine tank and the display tank. But obviously there's a limit and introducing a disease to my tank was inevitable.

To the best of my memory I believe the problem started slightly after buying a new cleaner shrimp and a flower anenome from my LFS. Slightly after that I noticed one of my white clownfish had what appeared to be lockjaw. He seemed kind of ragged and his mouth is stuck open. I looked in the forums and the best advice I could find was that he probably got stung by something and he would be fine in a few days. He died within a week or two.

From then other fish have all come down with several symptoms. Some have survived and gotten better and others have died. The symptoms include (and/or): white spots, white cotton-like substance on there skin, lethargy, swimming at the top, resting near the bottom, not eating, perishing.

I have tried multiple things to remedy the situation. I'm not sure if I'm making progress or not. Here's what I've done.

Two fish I removed from the tank and put in a quarantine tank. The quarantine tank was made with tank water from the main tank. I was trying to minimalize the amount of stress on the fish moving him from one tank to another. The goal was to treat the water in the quarantine tank with medicine to rid the tank of disease. However the fish died within hours if not minutes from being transferred to the quarantine tank.

After that other fish would get sick so I realized removing them one at a time to quarantine tank would not work anyway. Catching these fish is also extremely difficult as the fishnet will probably destroy every single coral in my attempt to get these fast little fish. Obviously removing every rock and and coral from the tank just to catch the fish puts the corals at risk as well. So it is quite the catch-22. So I looked into treatment options for the compete reef tank.

In the beginning white spots had not appeared yet it as it was mostly white fluffiness on their skin, lethargy and swimming at the bottom. I took my best guess based on what I read and tried prazipro. I found the instructions and ran a course of that, but the disease remained. And then it got worse and then I saw signs of the white spots as well. Based on this I am thinking that if the fish do have ick, it's a secondary infection due to the stress from something more major and underlying. But again that's just a guess.

So I tried a second type of treatment. Which is what I'm currently doing. It's a two-part treatment. First I'm following instructions and dosing polyplabs Reef medic as instructed. However, I'm already on my 18th day of treatment. The second treatment is mixing seachem Focus, Kanaplex and Metroplex with some Reef Frenzy and feeding it to the fish.

This treatment has had some benefit as some fish have got better, and show no signs of illness. Other fish have never got sick. Some fish have looked sick the entire time but have not died. And of course other fish have died. It should also be noted that two fish jumped out of the tank and committed suicide. One even busted through my buy-your-own and do-it-yourself custom tank covers for my rimless rank.

There are some other weird things happening in my tank and I don't know how they're all related. These problems all started after I began treating the fish and after they had got sick:

*My alkalinity started to rise so I reduced my alkalinity dosing to stabilize it. I'm currently using half as much alkalinity solution in my two-part dosing as I used to.

*My calcium usage remained the same at first but seems to be slowly declining now.

*My nitrates and phosphates have skyrocketed. I was holding them stable with nitrates at around 1 and phosphates at .01 using nopox. However they skyrocketed to about phosphates of .09 and nitrates of 5. I did some quick water changes and have got them to come down a little bit. The nutrients spike correlates timing wise with this weird white stringy stuff that's floating around the tank and getting stuck on corals and rock. It looks like someone's snot-rocketed into my tank and continually does it. I also caught my long spined Black Sea Urchin spewing out white cloudy goo into the water. I don't know if the two white substances are the same. From what I read the urchin is trying to mate.

*Finally as far as corals go, it looks like one small frag I've had for 8 months died very quickly and and NPS Coral(gorgonia) looks a little ragged and one organ pipe coral looks a little ****** off or could be dead. But other than that all the other corals are doing great and still seem to be thriving even with me medicating the tank.

I don't know what to make of all this or what to do. Any help and advise would be great. Thanks for reading all of this.
I am sorry you are having so many problems!

It does sound like you have many different issues going on. With this many problems and actions already taken it could be tough to work through everything to identify a probable cause. Personally, since alk consumption has been affected, I think it is best to start looking at systemic issues before approaching it from a fish disease standpoint. Especially since the fish diseases started in a very muted fashion with multiple different symptoms. Not to mention that Ich/Velvet will normally attack thicker mucused fish like clowns last, not first. The hard part about this is identifying if the drop in alk consumption is a symptom of the initial cause or if it is from the attempts at treatment.

So starting with some of the most basic stuff (please, don't be offended!)

How do you measure salinity? And how often do you calibrate the device you use to measure it?

Do you use RODI water, and if so, how often do you change the filters?

Do you run your system with a ground probe and/or GFCI?

Do you run an external air line to feed your skimmer?

Did the problems start after doing something like deep cleaning carpets, painting a room, or anything else new that caused a smell in the house?

OP
OP
Csr1978

Csr1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry you are having so many problems!
It does sound like you have many different issues going on. With this many problems and actions already taken it could be tough to work through everything to identify a probable cause. Personally, since alk consumption has been affected, I think it is best to start looking at systemic issues before approaching it from a fish disease standpoint. Especially since the fish diseases started in a very muted fashion with multiple different symptoms. Not to mention that Ich/Velvet will normally attack thicker mucused fish like clowns last, not first. The hard part about this is identifying if the drop in alk consumption is a symptom of the initial cause or if it is from the attempts at treatment.
The ALK usage drop started after treatment with Polyplab Medic and mixing the Seachem meds in the food. I have reached out to Polyplab to ask if they know of any side effect like this.

One other thing I just remembered about the ALK. Just prior to all this, I was noticing some precipitation chunks-of-white near where the CAL and ALK were dosed. So I moved the dosing tubes to very far away from each other. The goal was to reduce precipitation. But I find it hard to believe that I reduced precipitation by HALF so that I need to dose that much less. But it could be possible that there was just a delayed reveal in my alk/cal measurements and that the reduction in usage isn't a reduction but just that I am more efficient with my dosing since a I am not losing half of it to precipitation. Who knows?

So starting with some of the most basic stuff (please, don't be offended!)
No problem, thanks for helping!

How do you measure salinity? And how often do you calibrate the device you use to measure it?
Three ways: Constantly with the Neptune salinity probe that was calibrated in the last month. I verify that with a calibrated refractometer and the new Icecap digital salinity meter (I used to use a pinpoint meter as well)

Do you use RODI water, and if so, how often do you change the filters?
Yes and I change them often. I test the Carbon filters for chlorine pass through with a Hanna Checker, check the TDS before and after the membranes and monitor the color changing media. The unit uses the BRS Chloramines monster, two sediments filters, two carbon blacks, two membranes, and three DI filters (antion, cantion and a separate mix resin for DI). It has a booster Buddy for regulated pressure as well.

Do you run your system with a ground probe and/or GFCI?
Yes, several of both. There are probes in the display, and three sections of the sump.

Do you run an external air line to feed your skimmer?
Yes, and it is controlled by an air pump that turns on and off based on pH.

Did the problems start after doing something like deep cleaning carpets, painting a room, or anything else new that caused a smell in the house?
No.

Hopefully my answers help. I know this is the type of thing where we may not figure it all out, but I am hoping the collective minds of this forum can make things better.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are much more thorough with your checks than I am!

The only thing I see out of the set of questions to continue pursuing is this.
Yes, and it is controlled by an air pump that turns on and off based on pH.
Any chance something that may have acted as a trigger was left near where your skimmer draws fresh air? We had a gentleman with issues that we think was from running lawn equipment where the exhaust could be sucked into the tank. He installed the outside air line in the winter and started having problems in the spring.

Any chance you can post a picture of what your fish are showing symptom wise?

Could the white fuzzy stuff be mucus sloughing off? That would be an indication of brooklynella.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

My nitrates and phosphates have skyrocketed. I was holding them stable with nitrates at around 1 and phosphates at .01 using nopox. However they skyrocketed to about phosphates of .09 and nitrates of 5. I did some quick water changes and have got them to come down a little bit. The nutrients spike correlates timing wise with this weird white stringy stuff that's floating around the tank and getting stuck on corals and rock. It looks like someone's snot-rocketed into my tank and continually does it.

Pursuing this a little bit..... did this start shortly after dosing Prazipro? If so, what you could be seeing is nutrient rise from dead bristleworms and the white stuff could be decaying bodies.

OP
OP
Csr1978

Csr1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are much more thorough with your checks than I am!

The only thing I see out of the set of questions to continue pursuing is this.

Any chance something that may have acted as a trigger was left near where your skimmer draws fresh air? We had a gentleman with issues that we think was from running lawn equipment where the exhaust could be sucked into the tank. He installed the outside air line in the winter and started having problems in the spring.

Any chance you can post a picture of what your fish are showing symptom wise?

Could the white fuzzy stuff be mucus sloughing off? That would be an indication of brooklynella.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

Pursuing this a little bit..... did this start shortly after dosing Prazipro? If so, what you could be seeing is nutrient rise from dead bristleworms and the white stuff could be decaying bodies.

The white stringy stuff started after prazi, but quite some time after. But you're correct, it could be that. If so, then at least Prazi did something.

I don't think that the air pump drew in bad outside air, only because it was still really cold with snow outside when this started. But I will keep my eye on it.

Looking into the brooklynella, I thought that it could be a possibility. Some of the fish looked like that at times, yet never as bad as some of the pics I have seen. With regards to pictures, at this point only three fish are showing symptoms.

The first one, a royal gramma, has been showing white, dry skin and ich like spots for over a month and still kicking.
tempFileForShare_20180418-181939.jpg

There is another fish (it was supposed to be a lemon yellow chromis, but when it was shipped to me it turned out to be just a very wide, large blue-green looking chromis - so I don't even know what he is - but the other blue-green chromis kicked him out of the group long ago when he got too big), this fish is showing torn fins and a little roughed up. Not noticeable unless you are actively looking for it. I also showed the two corals that I mentioned (one dead, one not looking good).
tempFileForShare_20180418-181551.jpg

Finally, there is a Kole Tang who has looked pale since the beginning (patient 0?) of this with his mouth always wide open. There is also a shot of the white stringy stuff.
tempFileForShare_20180418-181853.jpg

The rest have all already died. None are left with the white fuzzy tuffs currently. (maybe that's a good thing).

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the problem with the Royal Gramma is ich. If anything, it is velvet but it doesn't look exactly right for velvet, either. The Kole Tang definitely has a bacterial issue but I doubt that is his only issue.

The stringy stuff could be decomposing bristleworm, hard to say from that pic. Do you see anything that look like bristles running along an edge? Do you have kenya trees or other soft corals? It could be slime from a softie shedding. That isn't an unusual response when using an oxidizer in a system which could also be impacting the pipe organ.

I'd really like @melypr1985 @Humblefish , @4FordFamily or one of the other more knowledgeable people to weigh in.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The royal gramma looks like velvet to me... just from looking at the pictures. The kole tang probably has his mouth open in an attempt to help him breath easier... not that it will help much.

OP
OP
Csr1978

Csr1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the problem with the Royal Gramma is ich. If anything, it is velvet but it doesn't look exactly right for velvet, either. The Kole Tang definitely has a bacterial issue but I doubt that is his only issue.

The stringy stuff could be decomposing bristleworm, hard to say from that pic. Do you see anything that look like bristles running along an edge? Do you have kenya trees or other soft corals? It could be slime from a softie shedding. That isn't an unusual response when using an oxidizer in a system which could also be impacting the pipe organ.

I'd really like @melypr1985 @Humblefish , @4FordFamily or one of the other more knowledgeable people to weigh in.

I don't think there was any bristle worms, but I definitely have 3 tree soft corals, one of which is very large (probably my largest single organism in the system). So that's probably it!

Are you referring to the polyplab medic as the oxidizer?

Is the shedding bad or just a response? If the white stringy stuff is from the coral, is it bad for the fish?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The royal gramma looks like velvet to me... just from looking at the pictures. The kole tang probably has his mouth open in an attempt to help him breath easier... not that it will help much.
I agree. I wonder about brook, too based on your explanation of fluffy whiteness on the skin.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you referring to the polyplab medic as the oxidizer?
Yes, my understanding is that it is basically a peroxide salt. Using it is very similar to dosing H2O2.

The coral slime shouldn't harm the fish. It isn't an abnormal occurrence for corals to shed.

I think @melypr1985 is right and that Velvet is your core issue. I feel it is either Velvet or Brook.

OP
OP
Csr1978

Csr1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these Bristle worms? If so are they a problem in my case?
20180419_145428.jpg

20180419_145504.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, those aren't bristleworms.

This is what they look like. And I feel they are a good thing to have in my tank.
upload_2018-4-19_13-58-53.png

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back