Malaysian Acros, the Real Deal

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just curious, but how do you know these are actually malay acros? I have not found anything about any legit boxes of acros coming from there for a long time now. Only thing I have found is that Indo stuff was shipped there and then sent out as Malaysian Acros. Or that the stuff actually from there doesn’t have the right paperwork and is going through back channels.
Not trying to get into your business but I am really curious and you did say you post here for information.

OP
OP
tristanfish

tristanfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just curious, but how do you know these are actually malay acros? I have not found anything about any legit boxes of acros coming from there for a long time now. Only thing I have found is that Indo stuff was shipped there and then sent out as Malaysian Acros. Or that the stuff actually from there doesn’t have the right paperwork and is going through back channels.
Not trying to get into your business but I am really curious and you did say you post here for information.

Nothing difficult about the process.
Just like any other country, Malaysia export corals. Malaysia has a quota each year. Cites are obtained according to the quota.

I can’t speak for others. But I obtained cites for Malaysian corals.

Seems very crazy and a lot of risk/work to do anything or any other way.

This is the only way in my book.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some really nice corals. If this is what can be collected and shipped to we need to be seeing them in LFSs. No reason to have crazy high prices and next to no availability on wild collected and maricultured corals if stuff like this is coming out if Malaysia on the regular.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rumor has it that Indonesian collectors are running boats with live wells full of Indo corals to Singapore and are passing them off as Malaysian collected corals. I suspect this is why the larger vendors have not been distributing them. Of course, to prove this is not happening, the Malaysian "collectors" could share where in Malaysia they are coming from.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When indo was still exporting getting a box of bali wild deep water acros was always amazing. I really hope they open their export trade again, for the people that live there trying to make a living as well as the people who love their recourses(us)

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rumor has it that Indonesian collectors are running boats with live wells full of Indo corals to Singapore and are passing them off as Malaysian collected corals. I suspect this is why the larger vendors have not been distributing them. Of course, to prove this is not happening, the Malaysian "collectors" could share where in Malaysia they are coming from.

Yea that’s exactly what I have heard too. I have seen almost zero evidence of Malay acros coming into the us. Yet the OP seems to have tanks stocked full of them ready to go. If it were as easy as getting permits I am super suprised I haven’t seen anyone else getting boxes from there. I asked my guy if he could get any and the response was that Malaysia is not exporting with permits and that’s the reason no one has anything new from there.
Honestly at this point I don’t care if they are from Malay or Bali or whatever! It’s all close to the same thing and I just wish more of these corals from this region would show up here. As long as they are collected the right way.

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tristianfish, I will speak for everyone when I say, we would all love to see some more pictures of these acros. I for one would like to see more of the colony shots instead of the branch close ups. I like to see how the colony is put together and the colors in the bases.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know someone personally getting stuff from Indonesia, but they’re greasing customs heavily. They’re bringing them over themselves, but I didn’t ask the fine details... yet. They’re mainly bringing in things other than acros, but do bring some acros back with them.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen almost zero evidence of Malay acros coming into the us. Yet the OP seems to have tanks stocked full of them ready to go.
I have not found that people who unapologetically refuse to share information are the most reliable sources of accurate information. :)

Last edited:

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well they do clearly have current CITES export quotas for Acropora. No secrets there:
Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 9.12.13 PM.png

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to order a few hundred pieces there are both farmed and wild collected stuff from wholesalers who trans ship you some. You can find these with a simple search if you want to buy some.
My Google fu is apparently weak because I can find very few wholesalers or importers offering corals, and only one (very pricey, livestockusa) that will sell to hobbyists directly. Any sources you can share? Thanks!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are dope!!

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Corals.... Selling them online?

cboltsd01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These corals are beautiful!! Just because you dont see any for sale through a Google search doesnt mean these arent coming through legitimately. Also, I doubt anyone is willing to just give up thier "sources". If you want to import those corals, your probably going to need to put a lot more work into finding a connection than just asking imo.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These corals are beautiful!! Just because you dont see any for sale through a Google search doesnt mean these arent coming through legitimately. Also, I doubt anyone is willing to just give up thier "sources". If you want to import those corals, your probably going to need to put a lot more work into finding a connection than just asking imo.
This is exactly the attitude I don't understand. Does one plan on buying all the corals from this supplier? Why on earth wouldn't a person share where they bought corals? This appears to be a discussion among hobbyists, not among commercial resellers who rely on this income to feed their families. (And even in the latter case, business plans based on secrecy are not great models in 2019)

Secrecy about stuff like this is counterproductive and in bad taste.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back