Mammoth Nano SPS Reef

Craigb350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning, how do you find the GHL?

I nearly made the switch from Kamoer to GHL but in the end up I decided to go down the calcium route, just because I was dosing silly amounts.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning, how do you find the GHL?

I nearly made the switch from Kamoer to GHL but in the end up I decided to go down the calcium route, just because I was dosing silly amounts.

The doser isn't the stand alone model, but instead is tethered to the Profilux for control. Calibrating and setup for the doser was very easy to do and I find it pretty stable and accurate.

However, getting the Profilux installed and operational was very cumbersome and had me feeling like I needed to be a bit of a computer programmer at the onset. It required many software updates and hoops to jump through in order to get it operational. Sadly this process took weeks and many emails to GHL that sometimes went ignored. Now that the firmware is up to date and wifi is connected, the app is very friendly and easy to use. I make 95% of adjustments and setting updates via the app on my phone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Love the cleans lines, colored plumbing and overall layout. Spring always brings out the new tanks and builds. Look forward to stocking pics

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing setup u got there. Love how heatlhy those corals are.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fantastic reef, how far do you keep ati Powermodule from the water? is the new model? why did you choose this combination and maybe not radiong4 + t5?

I have the latest Ati hybrid with Wifi capability, everything is controlled via a web browser. I have it mounted 10" above the water line. I have nothing but good things to report for this light, setup was a breeze. I decided it was the best fit for my tank because it is a comprehensive unit with proven results. I love that there is one cord and a clean hanging solution and that the fixture looks like it belongs. A lot of LED options have fun controls and fancy apps but a lot of them look like arm mounted dvd players over the tank, to me anyways.

I think Radions are great lights (even though I've never owned one) but I'm not sold they can handle the task of lighting a tank full of colonies as LEDs struggle with shading. LEDs were always sold as more energy efficient, but they aren't. In most cases the amount of units needed to sufficiently light a footprint gets very expensive, and each unit just adds more clutter with cords and mounting arms. I like to use LEDs for my blue supplementation only, and the Ati hybrid fit the bill perfectly for that.

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 80lbs of Real Reef rock. It had been slow going with it and took 10 months before I had decent success with any acropora. I even seeded it with a few pounds of seasoned rock. Strangely, I have to dose/buffer the tank to keep my alkalinity from rising and I can’t think of any reason other than the rock as an explanation.
What are your parameters at without a dose/buffer? The reason I'm asking is my tank is 60lbs of very similar type of rock and my Alk is high but my CA is low, I've never had this issue before so I was wondering if it is the rock causing it.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters at without a dose/buffer? The reason I'm asking is my tank is 60lbs of very similar type of rock and my Alk is high but my CA is low, I've never had this issue before so I was wondering if it is the rock causing it.

I'm actually dosing Seachem Acid Buffer to keep my alkalinity stable. I currently mix up a solution of 4tsp/1000ml and dose it as needed. At the outset, I monitored my alkalinity daily to dial in the dosing amount. I expect the acid buffer will be needed less and less with a higher demand for alkalinity, but I haven't seen much of a dip yet. Again, it has only been a few months of using this approach and I have little to no coralline to suck up alkalinity. Before using the acid buffer, I struggled terribly.

Before using the buffer, I would see roughly an increase of 1dkh over a week.

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was your CA levels? My tank is very new and new coralline yet and just a couple corals moved over from my old tank, I would not expect to have anything eating up the CA at this point but it goes down around 25ppm every day if I don't dose anything. Alk stays at 10dkh.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How was your CA levels? My tank is very new and new coralline yet and just a couple corals moved over from my old tank, I would not expect to have anything eating up the CA at this point but it goes down around 25ppm every day if I don't dose anything. Alk stays at 10dkh.

Calcium has always remained stable around 400-450ppm depending on the salt mix. I've been using Liveaquaria and Reef Crystals.

Peppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the latest Ati hybrid with Wifi capability, everything is controlled via a web browser. I have it mounted 10" above the water line. I have nothing but good things to report for this light, setup was a breeze. I decided it was the best fit for my tank because it is a comprehensive unit with proven results. I love that there is one cord and a clean hanging solution and that the fixture looks like it belongs. A lot of LED options have fun controls and fancy apps but a lot of them look like arm mounted dvd players over the tank, to me anyways.

I think Radions are great lights (even though I've never owned one) but I'm not sold they can handle the task of lighting a tank full of colonies as LEDs struggle with shading. LEDs were always sold as more energy efficient, but they aren't. In most cases the amount of units needed to sufficiently light a footprint gets very expensive, and each unit just adds more clutter with cords and mounting arms. I like to use LEDs for my blue supplementation only, and the Ati hybrid fit the bill perfectly for that.

thank you very much for the explanation. in this last version which colors of LEDs are mounted?

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has blue, royal, violet and white LEDs. I don't utilize the white at all and set the others to Blue 100%, Royal 85% and Violet 60% for my color blend. This ramps from 40% to a brief 100% over a 7hr period.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one has the slightest bit of orange highlights mixed in to give it a unique look.

BC Backdraft
47106663032_11680949c3_h.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back