Mammoth Nano SPS Reef

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all these red and green pieces. I like the rainbow blossom that asd was selling that was coming from indo. Not sure if they are still fragging from a colony or not but it had really cool whiteish polyps. I have a Mari plug encrusted from a colony I lost. I really hope it keeps going to form a colony.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys do when you see a vermetid within a coral? Do you snap it off repeatedly? Any tips?
screen-shot-2018-06-12-at-13144-pmpng.jpg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That chalice is stunning! When you started growing that frag did it have all the colors? Do you know if chalices can get colors of the mother even if the frag didn’t start with it?

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That chalice is stunning! When you started growing that frag did it have all the colors? Do you know if chalices can get colors of the mother even if the frag didn’t start with it?
The original frag did have the blue and red. If you look closely enough you can see the skeletal outline of the 4 eyed chunk that was glued to the rock. I'm not sure how long it would take to a red frag to produce some blue or vice versa. Even if it ever did, I would suspect it wouldn't be near as desirable as a more strategically cut frag from the start since a 50/50 split is probably the best outcome.

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gained the green or was it on the original frag?

Rainbow chalices have blue trimmed in green and red trimmed in orange typically. I dug up an old iPhone pic of the frag when it was first added last winter. I hope this answers your question.

48679809458_7466443f1e_h.jpg

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure it was bacterial, because within a day or two of chemiclean I noticed things rebounding. Also, when the corals first started suffering it was sporadically selective and then slowly snowballed into a full tank issue over a 1-2 month timeframe.
Experiencing the same thing I gone over everything multiples time, and tried everything. Just curious I’ve been doing this a long time never saw the need use chemiclean or cared about tiny bit cyano. After reading it stopped stn on several different forums I’m at a lose willing to try it. Did you do anything special other then half dose?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experiencing the same thing I gone over everything multiples time, and tried everything. Just curious I’ve been doing this a long time never saw the need use chemiclean or cared about tiny bit cyano. After reading it stopped stn on several different forums I’m at a lose willing to try it. Did you do anything special other then half dose?

Thanks in advance!
Nothing special really. I opened the skimmer drain and let it run back into the sump. You’ll want this in order to keep oxygen levels up. After 48hrs I then collected the skimmate in a 5gal bucket to remove most of the chemiclean from the water. You should notice your skimmer returning to normal production. Some carbon took care of the rest.

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks! No water change, just carbon? Basically one full scoop per 20 gallon dosage rate? Did you notice any reaction in the acros in terms of filaments or reduced PE? My situation nearly identical, now I’m going 2 plus months I can’t let anything else start going. It’s weird things are doing great in general it’s just some established colonies while they’re shooting new growth like crazy stn’ing same at
time. My head just wants to explode lol

Sorry for all the question I’ve never used chemiclean in 20 years on my personal tanks. Never on full sps tank, just lps and mixed I’ve used it on. There’s all these horror stories it has me all super paranoid. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Dugless

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thanks! No water change, just carbon? Basically one full scoop per 20 gallon dosage rate? Did you notice any reaction in the acros in terms of filaments or reduced PE? My situation nearly identical, now I’m going 2 plus months I can’t let anything else start going. It’s weird things are doing great in general it’s just some established colonies while they’re shooting new growth like crazy stn’ing same at
time. My head just wants to explode lol

Sorry for all the question I’ve never used chemiclean in 20 years on my personal tanks. Never on full sps tank, just lps and mixed I’ve used it on. There’s all these horror stories it has me all super paranoid. :rolleyes:
Yes, I mixed the powder into a small cup of RO water and dumped in. No livestock looked any different during treatment, fish or coral. If you've ruled out any other issues this might be worth a try. Be advised that it will knock back all kinds of bacteria within your tank, good or bad. In my circumstance I was confident that the bad bacterias were outcompeting any beneficial types, as I observed what I believed were infections coupled with progressive cyano for several weeks before treatment.

Collecting about 5gal of skimmate afterwards is essentially a very small water change. You will need to add fresh saltwater back in. The chemiclean is highly reactive within the skimmer and skimming it out is the easiest most effective way of removing it. Carbon doesn't seem to be as effective, but I added some to hopefully polish anything that the skimmer missed.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve bought just straight erythromycin and have dosed it on 3-4 different occasions when cyano has gotten bad. The only time I’ve ever had an issue is when I accidentally left my skimmer off during the dose. Erythro is the same active ingredient as chemiclean

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I mixed the powder into a small cup of RO water and dumped in. No livestock looked any different during treatment, fish or coral. If you've ruled out any other issues this might be worth a try. Be advised that it will knock back all kinds of bacteria within your tank, good or bad. In my circumstance I was confident that the bad bacterias were outcompeting any beneficial types, as I observed what I believed were infections coupled with progressive cyano for several weeks before treatment.

Collecting about 5gal of skimmate afterwards is essentially a very small water change. You will need to add fresh saltwater back in. The chemiclean is highly reactive within the skimmer and skimming it out is the easiest most effective way of removing it. Carbon doesn't seem to be as effective, but I added some to hopefully polish anything that the skimmer missed.
Thanks for your input I really appreciate it! I experienced cyano breakout on my rocks which in the 2 years my current tanks been running has never happened. It totally coincided with the stn, because I noticed cyano and a day or two later the stn. The cyanos gone now siphoned it out back when it popped up. After turning tank over
2x, Switching salt, removing my sandbed, 60% liverock, any corals weren’t doing well, emptying/sanitizing both tank and sump, lab test, checking all equipment, eliminating source water, and anything/everything else I’ve done it. Nothing is wrong anything no temp swings apex and thermal controller. Nothing I’ve done has helped or made it worst. I definitely believe it to be bacterial at this point it the only thing it can be, but haven’t added anything to my tank in 9 months. Maybe it took that long for bad bacteria build up idk lol. :rolleyes:

I saw it on your thread, but just recently I keep reading it’s viable solution for stn and someone mentioned a vendor who swears dosing as a preventative measure quarterly. I’ll let you know how it goes for sure!

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get some of that yellow glow out of this piece, but to no avail. I've had similar results from my TSA Dan Akroyd. Maybe I need it to hit a better size before the green shows me something more?

BC Bonfire Table
48694164618_f1af22e48e_h.jpg

What PAR are you giving it? Mine has yellow tips but still doesn't look like the photo on Adam's site.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back