Mandarin Clove Polyps

JPR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not even sure if this is the correct category to post this question. But I just purchased a mandarin Clove Polyps frag from my LFS.

Tonight I have removed the same blue leg hermit crab 4 times from sitting on top off it. I can't really tell if he's eating the coral or just cleaning up around it. He's currently residing in a newly found astra's snail shell (I think that's what it is). If he isn't eating the coral, should I be worried about the weight pushing over and sitting on my coral? More importantly, do blue leg hermit crabs eat these corals?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are generally reef safe but all carbs are opportunistic feeders. If the coral was healthy prior to buying it then I say it’s eating something around the polyps

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Anytime I put a new rock or frag in the tank my clean up crew has to go check it out. The hermits are alway the first ones there and they pick it over. Watch closely and see if any flesh from the coral is getting pulled off. If it is then the crab will need to go.

klownfizh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME clove polyps tend to have algae/organic matter on them when they close up and my crabs and shrimp always clean them up.

OP
OP
J

JPR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I woke up this morning hoping all was good. It appears to be. It looks like the hermit crab was just a very persistent cleaner. Thanks for the reassurance.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits are doing the exact same thing. Make sure it is not eating the coral, because my crabs have caused about 70% of my clove polyps to break and die.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back