Mandarin Dragonet and Copper Safe

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another thread going regarding the treatment for all my fish, but I wanted to make this one here just to be absolutely sure;
Will my baby mandarin dragonet be okay if I use Fritz CopperSafe?
If I need to go and buy more heaters and tanks and filters and water to do tank transfer method, I can. It’ll just set me back a lot of money (college student).
I have him eating pellets- feeding is not a concern.
All I care about is whether or not the CopperSafe will be safe for him.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have another thread going regarding the treatment for all my fish, but I wanted to make this one here just to be absolutely sure;
If I need to go and buy more heaters and tanks and filters and water to do tank transfer method, I can. It’ll just set me back a lot of money (college student).
While coppersafe is mild, although im reluctant, it should be safe as long as not overdosed. Therapuetic level is 2.25-2.5 and you will need to monitor this level with a reliable copper kit such as Hanna brand- Not api.

@Jay Hemdal

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would have one thread.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should tolerate a proper coppersafe treatment. The big issue with mandarins is they just don’t like bare quarantine tanks since there is no live food. If yours continues to feed on pellets in the QT that won’t be an issue then.
Jay

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should tolerate a proper coppersafe treatment. The big issue with mandarins is they just don’t like bare quarantine tanks since there is no live food. If yours continues to feed on pellets in the QT that won’t be an issue then.
Jay
Fritz website says therapeutic level is 1.5-2.0. Should I still be aiming for 2.5?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dropping in to say when I do hybrid TTM, I do not use heaters in summer as house temps stay favorable and I use a air pump with air line (no filter), I just use a new strip of air line with each transfer and I do it in 3-5g buckets.

I am throwing this out there as sometimes some fish will stop eating in copper and in case you need a backup plan.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dropping in to say when I do hybrid TTM, I do not use heaters in summer as house temps stay favorable and I use a air pump with air line (no filter), I just use a new strip of air line with each transfer and I do it in 3-5g buckets.

I am throwing this out there as sometimes some fish will stop eating in copper and in case you need a backup plan.
I’m starting the copper tomorrow morning. I’m honestly not 100% sure if I want to take the risk with copper with my dragonet. He’s too important to me. I think I’ll just go get some cheap heaters from petsmart, get some airline tubing, and use 5g buckets for them. Thank you for the suggestion.
What do you do to clean the buckets (and in my case heater) between transfers?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine in copper power frrom my experience. The main thing is that they just need to be eating regularly, and many dragonets don't take to frozen food. Some copepods survive copper, but pods are not common in a QT tank and they also need places to hide and reproduce

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, I do have mine trained on pellets. My concern was just how the copper would affect the dragonet, but I don’t think I’m going to take any chances and I’m just gonna rock the TTM.
They are fine in copper power frrom my experience. The main thing is that they just need to be eating regularly, and many dragonets don't take to frozen food. Some copepods survive copper, but pods are not common in a QT tank and they also need places to hide and reproduce

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz website says therapeutic level is 1.5-2.0. Should I still be aiming for 2.5?
Dose it as per label instructions, I think you’ll find it comes in at 2.5 (grin)
Jay

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, I do have mine trained on pellets. My concern was just how the copper would affect the dragonet, but I don’t think I’m going to take any chances and I’m just gonna rock the TTM.

If it helps, I have never seen one have issues in copper at the lfs I worked at

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose it as per label instructions, I think you’ll find it comes in at 2.5 (grin)
Jay
You got it.

I decided on TTM for the dragonet. Is 4 transfers enough? Or should I do more? I will have to rock a whole other tank for them as well once I finish the TTM, as the HP tank will have Copper in it for quite some time.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got it.

I decided on TTM for the dragonet. Is 4 transfers enough? Or should I do more? I will have to rock a whole other tank for them as well once I finish the TTM, as the HP tank will have Copper in it for quite some time.
If the mandarin is handling it well, I’d go with 5 transfers just to be extra safe.
Jay

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the mandarin is handling it well, I’d go with 5 transfers just to be extra safe.
Jay
Will do. I don’t think he will have any issues. I’ve had him in a breeder basket for quite some time to ensure that he was finding his pellets since they are tiny, so I’m sure he’ll love a 10 gallon or 5g bucket. I just need to be super careful and ensure temps, salinity, and PH are all the exact. Between bleach and vinegar, is there a certain one you would choose to clean the tanks/buckets/heaters between transfers?
Once again, sorry for so many questions. Still new to saltwater, and I’ve never QT so I want to make sure I do absolutely everything right.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. I don’t think he will have any issues. I’ve had him in a breeder basket for quite some time to ensure that he was finding his pellets since they are tiny, so I’m sure he’ll love a 10 gallon or 5g bucket. I just need to be super careful and ensure temps, salinity, and PH are all the exact. Between bleach and vinegar, is there a certain one you would choose to clean the tanks/buckets/heaters between transfers?
Once again, sorry for so many questions. Still new to saltwater, and I’ve never QT so I want to make sure I do absolutely everything right.
Bleach is best, but you need to be VERY careful to rinse ALL of it away before using any equipment that has been exposed to it. Many people use too much bleach, and that leaves toxic residuals. Also, you need plain bleach, without any soaps or surfactants added, and that can be tough to find now days. Soaking in freshwater and then drying is safer.

Jay

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach is best, but you need to be VERY careful to rinse ALL of it away before using any equipment that has been exposed to it. Many people use too much bleach, and that leaves toxic residuals. Also, you need plain bleach, without any soaps or surfactants added, and that can be tough to find now days. Soaking in freshwater and then drying is safer.

Jay
What about spraying the tank with peroxide?

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I got plain bleach already!
I’ve got a pretty good (at least I think) process planned for cleaning stuff out after I’ve used bleach.
For bleaching them, I plan to dump the buckets out, rinse in tub, then fill with a bleach solution, and let sit for 4-5 hours. For cleaning after, I will dump them out, then do a few rinses with water from the tub, scrub the buckets, then fill them with tap water and a capful or Prime. Let sit for a day, then dump out, rinse again, and then let air dry.
Would this be a good enough plan to clean buckets?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back