Mandarin Dragonet and Copper Safe

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting the copper tomorrow morning. I’m honestly not 100% sure if I want to take the risk with copper with my dragonet. He’s too important to me. I think I’ll just go get some cheap heaters from petsmart, get some airline tubing, and use 5g buckets for them. Thank you for the suggestion.
What do you do to clean the buckets (and in my case heater) between transfers?

I rinse with vinegar and put a fan on it so it gets 100 percent dry. The drying will kill anything. I clean it out right away after the transfer and put the fan to dry as I like to have everything fully bone dry for 48 hours.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose it as per label instructions, I think you’ll find it comes in at 2.5 (grin)
Jay
Hey Jay!
Dragonet TTM started last night, and second dose of copper was done this morning.
Dosed a little bit below the instructions, and I am currently sitting at 2.01ppm.
I spoke with Fritz aquatics about what ppm to use, as I’ve seen so many various recommendations. They recommended me to use 1.5 to 2.0 for safe treatment. But she also said that Coppersafe and Copperpower are essentially the same thing, and Copperpower is recommended to use from 2.0 to 2.5. Is it worth me adding more Copper? I’m kind of thinking of increasing to about 2.25.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay!
Dragonet TTM started last night, and second dose of copper was done this morning.
Dosed a little bit below the instructions, and I am currently sitting at 2.01ppm.
I spoke with Fritz aquatics about what ppm to use, as I’ve seen so many various recommendations. They recommended me to use 1.5 to 2.0 for safe treatment. But she also said that Coppersafe and Copperpower are essentially the same thing, and Copperpower is recommended to use from 2.0 to 2.5. Is it worth me adding more Copper? I’m kind of thinking of increasing to about 2.25.
Yes, you need to get to 2.25 ppm. I think they were just being conservative, but below 2.0 and disease just won’t be controlled.
Jay

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you need to get to 2.25 ppm. I think they were just being conservative, but below 2.0 and disease just won’t be controlled.
Jay
Hey Jay! Quick Update!
Copper in the 38 gallon has been maintained at 2.30, and all the fish are doing awesome. In fact, my firefish seems like he has finally gotten over his fear of the tribal blenny, which is really good news since I couldn’t find a lid for the tank XD. I’m running the two main tanks fishless still at 82°, and the frag tank at 78° with all the inverts in it. I’m doing one last tank transfer today for the dragonet (this will be number 5), and in another three days he will go into a 10 gallon I set up with a sponge filter. I was really worried that doing TTM would be stressful for the little baby, but he’s been absolutely great!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back