Mandarin feeders

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Mandarin feeders yesterday from @burnetb1. I love them!

42334260-BEAF-499E-B5B7-E5F5F9475CD6.jpeg 84928D5D-1FE6-4AA3-BA87-C0B68D92F104.jpeg FD26F444-D871-4FB1-A043-6B216BFAC4B7.jpeg

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My design is on Thingiverse for anyone interested. There is an inner ring on the lid that comes out and can hold the screen inside the lid so you don't have to wrap the whole thing.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My design is on Thingiverse for anyone interested. There is an inner ring on the lid that comes out and can hold the screen inside the lid so you don't have to wrap the whole thing.
I am an infantry Marine aka Grunt so please excuse me being unable to figure out that it is three pieces!

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a chamber that is covered by a screen (panty hose) and has a hole for a feeding tube. The unit is placed in the tank and secured, then live brine fish are fed into the chamber through the feeding tube. The brine fish swim up towards the light, and get caught or slowed down by the screen. This helps the mandarin catch the brine shrimp, copepods, ect.

I did not come up with this idea, I only adapted a previous design on thingiverse to suit a feeding tube. I am currently working on a magnetic holder for it as well.

My design is on thingiverse if you have a printer, otherwise you have to go through me. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B came up with this design I believe, way back in 2013.

Original thread with lots of info

And blog with info on teh feeder only

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a chamber that is covered by a screen (panty hose) and has a hole for a feeding tube. The unit is placed in the tank and secured, then live brine fish are fed into the chamber through the feeding tube. The brine fish swim up towards the light, and get caught or slowed down by the screen. This helps the mandarin catch the brine shrimp, copepods, ect.

I did not come up with this idea, I only adapted a previous design on thingiverse to suit a feeding tube. I am currently working on a magnetic holder for it as well.

My design is on thingiverse if you have a printer, otherwise you have to go through me. Feel free to shoot me a PM.
Mine are amazing so don't hesitate to have him make them for you!

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is evolving now that people have shown interest in my design. As always I will post files on Thingiverse for anyone with a printer. I am designing a magnetic base and once complete I will start printing out new ones. I think ill offer the complete feeder for $25 shipped (US) including screen, mag base and feeder tube.

@PacoPetty Ill also send you a mag base once completed with some instructions on how to retrofit yours.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is evolving now that people have shown interest in my design. As always I will post files on Thingiverse for anyone with a printer. I am designing a magnetic base and once complete I will start printing out new ones. I think ill offer the complete feeder for $25 shipped (US) including screen, mag base and feeder tube.

@PacoPetty Ill also send you a mag base once completed with some instructions on how to retrofit yours.
That is awesome! Send me the mag bases and the feeder tubes and I will gladly pay you.

burnetb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does the inner ring hold the screen tight? Been wondering that.

Also as a side note for anyone following along, I need some input. I'm trying to think of mounting options for this thing that work for everyone. A simple magnetic puck like how mag cleaners work is what I will be eventually using in a bare bottom tank, but I'm thinking of more ways to make it flexible. I'm thinking a magnetic base that goes into the tank and is secured, then the feeder can be removed for cleaning while the base stays in the tank. The base could have a frag plug to glue it into the rock work, or a locking frag plug to lock it into egg-crate or a frag holder. also thought about a riser that would lift it out of the sand... Basically wondering: If you had this, where would you like to mount it in your tank?

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well does the inner ring hold the screen tight? Been wondering that.

Also as a side note for anyone following along, I need some input. I'm trying to think of mounting options for this thing that work for everyone. A simple magnetic puck like how mag cleaners work is what I will be eventually using in a bare bottom tank, but I'm thinking of more ways to make it flexible. I'm thinking a magnetic base that goes into the tank and is secured, then the feeder can be removed for cleaning while the base stays in the tank. The base could have a frag plug to glue it into the rock work, or a locking frag plug to lock it into egg-crate or a frag holder. also thought about a riser that would lift it out of the sand... Basically wondering: If you had this, where would you like to mount it in your tank?
Because of the edges on the inner ring it holds the material really well but with that being said I have not gotten mine wet yet because I am still building my pod population before I add the mandarins. I will put mine in the tank tonight and see if the screen stays in place and if it stays put on the bottom or needs a little more weight added.
As far as mounting it with a magnet, I plan to place mine in one of the back bottom corners as close as possible to the rocks for easier access since they are constantly roaming the rock work in those areas searching for pods. IMHO a weighted bottom would be great to help keep it on the bottom, in place, and not affected as much by the flow of the tank. I think the magnetic frag plug is a great idea especially for ease of cleaning!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back