Mandarin feeding

Victor Guyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Mandarin golby in quarantine. I am using cooper so pods will not survive. What suggestions do you have on feeding?

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mandarin in a 93 gallon system with refugium and lots of live rock. Doing well but that fish decimated the pods. So I grow my own pods and add to tank twice a month. I would move your fish asap to your DT or set up a quarenteen tank just for him with rock and pods.

OP
OP
Victor Guyton

Victor Guyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my. If it is a ocean caught mandarin it will starve. Is the fish sick? Mandarin rarely get parasites due to a very thick slime coat.
I have had one die to ick. I was reluctant to put him in qt but I was able to catch him and he had possibly a few spots. I am going to remove everyone and go fowl

OP
OP
Victor Guyton

Victor Guyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He eats pod currently. My DT is 2 years old. I have to find a way to feed him in qt

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He eats pod currently. My DT is 2 years old. I have to find a way to feed him in qt
Ok. He is eating so is he sick? If the fish is not showing any signs of disease then suggest quarenteen him without copper. I quarenteen nearly all my fish; however, I do not medicate unless disease is indicated. Depending on source of the fish I may use paraguard for a week and then observe a few more weeks. A mild medication with a short half life. Copper is very toxic. It has its place treating an outbreak. Maybe get a 10 gallon additional tank or plastic container, put in some live rock never exposed to copper and a jar of pods in there.

You could try baby brine shrimp, zooplankton? idk ... maybe someone else has feeding prepaired food input. I have seen u2 videos in training mandarins to eat prepared foods. But I have zero experience with this....

OP
OP
Victor Guyton

Victor Guyton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. He is eating so is he sick? If the fish is not showing any signs of disease then suggest quarenteen him without copper. I quarenteen nearly all my fish; however, I do not medicate unless disease is indicated. Depending on source of the fish I may use paraguard for a week and then observe a few more weeks. A mild medication with a short half life. Copper is very toxic. It has its place treating an outbreak. Maybe get a 10 gallon additional tank or plastic container, put in some live rock never exposed to copper and a jar of pods in there.

You could try baby brine shrimp, zooplankton? idk ... maybe someone else has feeding prepaired food input. I have seen u2 videos in training mandarins to eat prepared foods. But I have zero experience with this....
I have ick in DT. I am going fowl. HmI had to pull everyone the DT. Most fish had spots. I must have seen some on mandarin. Not 100% sure.

Back